50 Little soldiers formed up in ranks. . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good..!

Small dents are no problem, they'll probably fire form when you shoot them, you'll never notice.

Flush primers are okay, below flush is best in case you drop one on the pavement. You probably can't seat them too far, you'll crush the primer first.

I use ONLY Hornady One Shot. I initially tried using RCBS with the pad,..that stuff is like SNOT...! No thanks. I line my cases up and hit a row of them at a 45 degree angle, spraying the case and a bit in the mouth. Turn them 180 and hit them one more time. Haven't had a stuck case yet. I tumble mine though after sizing to remove any residue left behind, I like shiny clean shells.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good..!

Small dents are no problem, they'll probably fire form when you shoot them, you'll never notice.
Dents are not an issue. They will fireform as DW444 said
Flush primers are okay, below flush is best in case you drop one on the pavement. You probably can't seat them too far, you'll crush the primer first.
any with primers extending beyond the case need to be culled, or press them in AFTER pulling the bullet and dumping the powder
I use ONLY Hornady One Shot. I only use hornady 1 shot as well. Used to use the RCBS pad, and it sucked. Hornady is the way to go. I have not tried the dillon spray. Don't need to. Is probably great like all dillon stuff. I initially tried using RCBS with the pad,..that stuff is like SNOT...! No thanks. I line my cases up and hit a row of them at a 45 degree angle, spraying the case and a bit in the mouth. Turn them 180 and hit them one more time. Haven't had a stuck case yet. I tumble mine though after sizing to remove any residue left behind, I like shiny clean shells.

I don't tumble mine after loading. Just my preference. No other reason.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you lived closer, I would gladly let you have what Hornady One-Shot I have left so you could see it isn't that good especially when Imperial Wax and Dillon Spray Lube are available. The Lee Lube works better than the Hornady to me but it was a pain to apply.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the real input Rick. I was using the hand held primer loader to prime them, I'll have to go ahead and use the press mounted one on the next run and see if that helps. It was only 1 shell out of the 50, but I don't really care for Mr. Murphy and chance either.

Is there any faster way to use the Lee case lube? I was using it on a lube pad but it doesn't seem to last long, unless I'm just worrying it too much and using too much per case. I just don't want to get a stuck case, I've seen some of the aftermath trying to get one out.

The Lee Hand Primer works great for me on everything but large rifle primers. I use a Lee Ram Prime on my old single stage for those.

For the Lee Lube, I just get a very small dab on my fingers and spread it on. A little messy and slow but as I said, never had a stuck case. I lube about 50 cases at a time, wipe down the hands, resize the brass then wipe down the cases.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lanolin based spray lubes are the best thing going when it comes to lubing any number of cases.

One shot can be useful for pistol cases, but that's all I'd ever use it for.

Loading bottle necked cases is best done with two trips through the press. Once to size, trim, chamfer / deburr if you need it, maybe swage out a crimped primer pocket. Then tumble your cases to get rid of chips and lube. Second trip to prime, charge, and seat.

Others have done it all in one pass then tumbled the loaded rounds to get excess lube off.

Both ways seem to work but most loaders tend to gravitate to one method or the other.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady one shot is the first lube I tried when i started reloading bottlenecked cases. I find that it works best after sitting on the brass for awhile I fill my reloading trays and spray them the night before if possible and it works great. but if you spray them and try and run them through the resizing die immediately it is horrible. I give it at least twenty minutes. The longer it sits the better it works and it cleans off really easy.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used about everything as far as case lubes go.

I only use the aerosol Hornady One Shot for pistol calibers and all my dies are carbide or titanium nitride coated and don't require any lube but I use it anyway.

For rifle calibers Imperial is by far the best I've found. If you want to find the best lube just start loading .375 Winchester. It looks like a straight wall case but it's got a slight taper along it's entire length and if you put just a tiny amount you will still wrinkle the case. Too little and you will stick the case in the die. It's a very very fine line and a minuscule amount of Imperial is the only lube I've found that will size that round without wrinkling or sticking it in the die.

I did try out some of the Hornady One Shot sizing wax that comes in the tin just like the Imperial and it worked great on the 2500 .223 rounds I just trimmed up. But I'll never be using the aerosol One Shot for anything more than making pistol cases run smoother the the press.

Also any liquid lanolin lube (like the Dillon) will foul your powder charge if you get it inside the case so it's best to tumble before loading, but they work pretty well too.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that there's anything wrong with the wax or the Lee lube, I just prefer the Hornady One Shot for the way I reload.

I like to reload in groups of 50 or 100 at a time. It would drive me nuts to smear a dab of lube on every case with my fingers,.. those that have the patience.....kudos. There are many ways to do it,..I go for speed....

I line all the cases up, spray em and let em dry, dump them in a container and head to the resize die,.....and conchunk,....conchunk,....conchunk,...like an assembly line. The faster I can get them done and into the tumbler, the more time I've got to work on something else.

Just find a way you like and are happy with the results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom