Skipped a step in brass prep. Whoops.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I (copper) pin cleaned a few batches of .223 brass and annealed about 400 rounds yesterday.
Sorted my headstamp and by year for the LC cases.

I brushed the necks with a spinning nylon bore brush after annealing and then lubed a bunch of LC 22 and sized them.
Hornady Unique case lube.

They full length sized like butter.
Then I put a couple handfuls of Norma .223 cases on the bench and lubed them and sized the first one and then the second one and thought to myself man these are really sticking and realized I forgot to brush the necks after annealing.

I did a test and removed the lube form 3 cases and brushed the necks and relubed them and they sized smoothly.

I have known this for some time if a case that is resized is hard to extract from the die the shoulder will be pulled forward more than a case that slicks right out of the die.

I measured those hard to size vs easy to size cases at the shoulder Ogive and the shoulders were pulled forward from .001-.003" more on the hard to extract cases.

That is not all that bad but I have seen where longer shoulder ogive can cause a round to not go into full battery.
You get that dreaded Click on an AR when you pull the trigger.

I have to make darn sure the shoulders get pushed back all the way for ammo in my buddies AR.
My bolt gun ammo will not run in his AR but will in all my AR rifles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of line just had this very same problem with a . 243. On some of his reloads the shoulder wasn't pushed back enough.

I didn't think of the expander button yanking on a dirty neck, when he asked me my opinion. I'm gonna call him.
Lack of good lube on the case or lack of lube in the case neck will pull the shoulder forward some also.
It does not take much in the inside of the neck.
You can run a lubed finger over the case mouth and that will be enough most of the time.

I was reloading outside in the sun at the shooting bench one day at Lexington gun range.
I could not get the shoulders to push back on my .308 cases.

I found out the die got hot in the sun and it was enough to do it.
Even twisting the die in 1.5 turns after contacting the shell holder was no good.

Darn sure it was bottomed out then.
I duplicated the issue by heating the die in the oven to the same "feel temp" as the sun put on it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I (copper) pin cleaned a few batches of .223 brass and annealed about 400 rounds yesterday.

I brushed the necks with a spinning nylon bore brush after annealing and then lubed a bunch of LC 22 and sized them.

Then I put a couple handfuls of Norma .223 cases on the bench and lubed them and sized the first one and then the second one and thought to myself man these are really sticking and realized I forgot to brush the necks after annealing.

I did a test and removed the lube form 3 cases and brushed the necks and relubed them and they sized smoothly.

I have known this for some time if a case that is resized is hard to extract from the die the shoulder will be pulled forward more than a case that slicks right out of the die.

I measured those hard to size vs easy to size cases at the shoulder Ogive and the shoulders were pulled forward from .001-.003" more on the hard to extract cases.

That is not all that bad but I have seen where longer shoulder ogive can cause a round to not go into full battery.

I have to make darn sure the shoulders get pushed back all the way for ammo in my buddies AR.
I ran into that same issue with stuck cases when pulling brass from the sizing die.
If running range brass of different hardnesses, thicknesses, it happens a lot.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing how you fellas are I probably shouldn't tell this on myself but I missed a big step on 100 rounds of 7mmBR once.....don't laugh and pick on me I'm thin skinned and cry easily.

Went to a monthly handgun silhouette match once and it was my turn to shoot through so I got in the creedmoor position, chambered a round in my XP-100, pulled the trigger and click / no kaboom, with the clock still ticking I quickly grabbed another round and noticed a kernel or two of IMR4895 falling out of the bottom of the case.....I had loaded up 100 rounds of ammo for the match and for some reason I hadn't seated a single SRP in a single case.

I felt like the village idiot so I just got up off the firing line got in my pickup and drove home without offering any explanation to the other competitors.....I did fess up to what I'd done at the next match when I was ask why I'd left and had to put up with some good natured harassment.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing how you fellas are I probably shouldn't tell this on myself but I missed a big step on 100 rounds of 7mmBR once.....don't laugh and pick on me I'm thin skinned and cry easily.

Went to a monthly handgun silhouette match once and it was my turn to shoot through so I got in the creedmoor position, chambered a round in my XP-100, pulled the trigger and click / no kaboom, with the clock still ticking I quickly grabbed another round and noticed a kernel or two of IMR4895 falling out of the bottom of the case.....I had loaded up 100 rounds of ammo for the match and for some reason I hadn't seated a single SRP in a single case.

I felt like the village idiot so I just got up off the firing line got in my pickup and drove home without offering any explanation to the other competitors.....I did fess up to what I'd done at the next match when I was ask why I'd left and had to put up with some good natured harassment.
Your story will probably save some re-loader from doing the same thing.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I felt like the village idiot so I just got up off the firing line got in my pickup and drove home without offering any explanation to the other competitors.....I did fess up to what I'd done at the next match when I was ask why I'd left and had to put up with some good natured harassment
I would have left as well.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've done the same thing. Well, with one (1) cartridge, not 100.

Same fault at the firing line - click (well it was a Mosin, so CLACK) and nothing.
Timed fire, but I waited 30 seconds (a loooong 30 seconds ) and recocked the bolt.

Another CLACK.

I opened the chamber and found the gaping hole where the LR primer should have been. Powder everywhere.

I have no idea how I missed 1 primer in 70-ish pieces of brass.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not saying it doesn't help, but I never brush the necks or re-anneal them- 1000s of rounds and no problem - usually last for 2-3 cycles then resize case length but then Im happy with "not perfect" but pretty darn accurate

Latest posts

Top Bottom