50 years of fly fishing and tying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not realize it until talking to a couple of fly tyers and fly fisherman a little while ago, but this is my 50th. year of fly tying and fly fishing!!! Wow! Where has all the time gone...

I caught my first carp on the fly back in the 70's, back behind Pensacola Dam, to the area that is now a golf course.

My second place to catch a carp was below the spillway at Spavinaw, then various creeks here and there.

I also caught a big stringer of channel cats in a local farm pond, not long after catching my first carp, plus several stringers of crappie and sand bass wading the creeks.

More that a few gar were also put one new over the years, plus more drum than what could in the back of a full size pickup.

Perch and bluegill were my first fly rod catches, followed by largemouth bass.

Small mouth bass were caught many many years later, and that has been so much fun!

Then there my third or fourth favorite fish to catch, and that is trout. I have caught trout here in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and couple of other states.

Given a choice species though, it would be carp first, then drum, then flip a coin between catfish and gar. All great fighting fish to catch on the fly.

My first fly that I tied was an unpainted cork popper that the bluegills absolutely loved.

My first carp fly was tied to look like a mulberry than my grandpa showed me how to tie, and carp would hit these flies under nearly every tree that I fished it around. The first carp that I caught on a fly, I had no idea the power that these fish had. Next to a big drum, a carp is one of the hardest fighting fish there is around here, and also one of the funnest fish to catch.

Catching carp in the 10-20 pound range is quite common, and happens nearly every carp fishing outing that we go on. Common carp are the norm, with an occasional grass carp or mirror carp thrown in for good measure.

And stripers!!! The first and only striper I ever caught weighed 26 pounds and I thought it was going to destroy my "little" 8 wt. fly rod! While fun to catch, I have no desire to do that again. That fish didn't taste that great, at least to me anyways. I would rather be wading in a creek somewhere, catching a mess of sand bass, cause I know they eat good. 👍

Sorry for being so long winded.

Here are just a few of the flies that I tie, and if you see one you need a better picture of, just ask and I'll be glad to show it off.

Any yes, I also mold my own hellgrammite lures that I use for both carp and small mouth bass.

IMG_20240503_150016596_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_142625717~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_142850792_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_143102406_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_143620793~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_143857695~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_144114987~2.jpg

IMG_20240503_144349164~2.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You tied all of those? IMPRESSIVE!!!
I'm in my 40-something year. Trout are about all I fly fish for except for the occasional bass at my bass pond. I only tie a few patterns, my son does tie. He moved to Florida so we are looking into the fly fishing action down there.
Yes, I tied all of those, and a whole lot more. I sell over 10,000 flies a year, and according to my wife, it keeps me outta trouble. 😵‍💫

You should have a lot of fun fly fishing in Florida!

I have always wanted to go to Florida and fly fish for tarpon and bone fish, but carp have pretty much filled that need for me.

My dream fly fishing trip though would be to spend a week in the Amazon and fly fish for trophy peacock bass. Now that would be the fishing trip of a lifetime, at least for me.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you’ve been busy. That is quite the inventory. These are the only pictures I could find in my phone. The smallest Adams and Mosquitos are on a #22. Don’t think my eyes have it in’m anymore. Funny you should start this thread. I haven’t been fly fishing in a couple decades and have plans to take my father when he comes to visit at the end of the month. 😁
IMG_2578.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2580.jpeg
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2582.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The flies shown are from my wife, daughters and my personal fly boxes.

Those are some good looking flies you've got there.

I have some #22 and #24 flies that I tied several years ago, and caught quite a number of trout on them, but the way I look at it now, if the trout are going to be that picky, I really don't want to fool with them.

I hope and your father gets to go fishing, and catch more than your share.

Latest posts

Top Bottom