6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Primary sale forced me to start a build for this round, have a bolt, barrel, mags, upper, and lower on the way. What experience good/bad have you guys had with the 6.5 Grendel round and build?

Thanks

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i love mine...but plan on needing an adjustable gas block and doing the "o-ring mod" to the extractor spring. I had FTE issues that took several range trips to get worked out...and they seem to be common with the 6.5G.

Being able to ring steel at 1,000 yd while using 85% standard AR parts is really cool to me. I plan on building another one that is light weight for hunting purposes.

I was going to build an AR-10 but the proprietary crap (non-interchangeability of parts) ruined it for me. 6.5G ended up being perfect for what i wanted to do.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm building my first one right now and have most of the parts. I went with a Faxon barrel and a kickass bolt from a group buy on the 6.5 Grendel forum (both are type 1). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Like Zghorner, I was initially planning on building an AR-10 but changed my mind quickly after reading more about the 6.5 Grendel. It's really starting to become a popular round!

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I have the type 2 barrel and type 2 bolt coming so I assume it all should work fine....with the adjustable gas block. This will be the first time I've used this type of gas block, how do you guys set it initially?

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most recommend to turn it down all of the way, open it 1turn, shoot and continue to open it up by 1/4 or 1/2 turns until your bolt cycles and locks back on the bolt catch.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice above. The geometry of the grendel extractor makes it kinda finicky and hard on brass. Another big problem often run into is short throats for some reason and not just on one particular brand. Mine has a very short throat but I handload so it hasnt been a big deal once I figured out what the problem was. Its a great round for the 15 platform.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more dumb question....I see a ton of muzzle devices for the Creedmoor round and only a handful that list "for" Grendel. I assume as long as the threads are the same, they would work on one another???

Again thanks for all the great advise

Sincerely
The Noob

Latest posts

Top Bottom