69gr. Sierra MK HPBT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Done processing brass and trying to decide which powder to use with a 69 SMK HPBT.

Heard Varget is accurate but long sticks don't meter well. I also have some CFE223 that I could try.

Anyone have a favorite load to share as an idea for 69.SMK's?

Will be shooting out of AR15.

I also was wondering if anyone has used the 10% decrease in powder rule for loading
for semi autos? I believe it was something to do with military brass not holding as much powder as a normal brass case due to thicker walls. I wasnt sure if this is correct or not. One article said reduce a .308 load by 1.5 gr. in military brass which isnt close to 10% for a .308 load.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yap H335 works good in the 223.

Always start a new loading project at 10% below the listed starting load for any powder used, then work up
in ½ grain steps checking proper function and over pressure, somewhere between 10% below and max listed you will
find a load that shoots good and will function in a semiauto.
When using H110/296 in mag pistol loads don't go below the listed minimum charge.
When using military brass it is a good practice is to start 15% below listed minimum because the internal volume is smaller.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in 308 milspec vs comm is a much bigger difference than in 223-556 brass volume. that said, varget is the king of those pills. if youre using a single stage press, metering is not an issue, imo. I load my practice and burner 55gr stuff on a progressive and the precision stuff on a single stage, andI only load 100-300 or so at a time on the single stage

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Olyerrer....yes I am using a single stage press. I have 4-5 different powdersto load my 5.56
with. I will be using SMK 69gr.HPBT. I had decided to use Varget or CFE223. Will go with Varget.
Starting load states 24.0 gn. For Varget. Should I start at 21.6 gn. Which is 10% lower since its LC Military brass? I have some CCI400 small rifle primersbut have an order of CCI M41 primers being shipped to me so I might just wait until those hard primers get here.As stated earlier I will be shooting the rounds out of AR 15's. This is my first time loading rifle rounds so I plan on weighing out each round.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CFE and Varget loads are almost identical. 24.1 is very accurate in either powder using LC brass. You won't be able to overfill.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CFE and Varget loads are almost identical. 24.1 is very accurate in either powder using LC brass. You won't be able to overfill.

Note the bolded.

For the most part you will have a full case of powder, and you will hear crunching sounds as you compress the load. That is not an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom