7.62x39 ar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here had much exp with one? Was just looking for a new toy and was thinking about an upper for the less expensive round that would still work with my 7.62 can. So let me know, likes, dislikes, PROBLEMS with it ect.

gnickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a MK1 flattop carbine upper. It broke a bolt lug under 200 rds, sent it back and they sent a whole nuw upper. I have run about 5000 rds through it no problems. Really like it and very accurate out to about 150yds.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my experience AR's chambered in 7.62x39 are more prone to feeding issues than any other caliber in the AR platform. The case is tapered more and AR's don't typically like that. It's part of the reason why there's such a big fuss behind AR's in .300 blackout round why it's becoming more popular.

If you can get one that runs, go for it. Given the choice, I'd rather run 5.45x39 if I had to build a non 5.56/308 AR, due to how cheap 5.45 rounds are.

1S1K

I've read that most people have problems with theirs but mine will empty a 30 round mag without a hiccup. I shoot yugo surplus brass cased ammo which is corrossive so have to clean after each outing even though it has stainless barrel. Round count is under 200 so can not comment on durability which most people had issues with bolt failure.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one sitting in the safe, works fine. just ordered another barrel to put together one for the kids.
built my first one in '84.
also ordered a 300blk barrel to run with my 9mm can.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had thought about the 5.45x39 but looking for something bigger. I think I would like a short barreled upper in 7.62x39 over a Saiga since I already have a milled Arsenal AK. I looked at the new RRA AR-47 but really don't want to go that direction in SBRing another lower and they don't make a short upper for it yet. I was thinking a 10.5" or maybe a little shorter with my can would be ALOT of fun. But if they were prone to some of the problems that some of you have had with them.... well not sure it would be worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom