76 years ago Feb 19, 1945

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elements of the 3rd, 4th, & 5th Marine Division landed on this island at 0900. Thirty-six days later with approximately 26,000 American casualties (6,800kia) the island was officially secured. Twenty-seven Medals of Honor were awarded to both Marines/Sailors. Over 25% of the MOH awarded to Marines during WWII were awarded here, Iwo Jima.

Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue

panoramio-22037729.jpg

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Marine I used to know was fixin to get shipped home from overseas. Someone told him he had enough room on his chopper to take another passenger to Iwo, or Mike could go straight home. Mike chose to delay his return to the states to get a chance to visit. He said it was a great decision, and you could still find GI and Jap brass in the sand.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Jim Goodrich passed away just a few years ago, Enid resident, was wounded on the beach of Iwo Jima. Quite the man to talk too about Iwo Jima. He made the trip back there a few years before he passed.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What these brave men did to protect our freedoms is why we should NEVER give up our freedoms.

When I was a child, during a military parade/event in Long Beach (CA), a Marine let me sit behind a 50 cal and then he gave me a can of c-rations. Best day ever.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I started working at ODOT years ago there was an old Native American working there everyone called Chief, his name was William (Bill). Anyway, knowing I had been in the Marines he confided in me that he landed on Iwo Jima as a Corpsman. He seldom spoke of the battle but the little he did was usually something funny or light hearted. I'm sure these were the memories he enjoyed recalling rather than the horrors that visited him in his dreams.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Great Uncle. Never had the opportunity to meet him. A wonderful young man who is a member here, Coolhandluke was kind enough to take a good size box with everything this Great Uncle owned while in the service, flag, all books from Britain, photographs, hair brush, comb, shaver, pill box, pins, medals, documents and more and preserve it from damaging itself as it ages. Thanks again Luke!

B517B989-20D3-47BF-B02A-01CD60F65521.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom