March 30, 1973

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No amount of gratitude is enough. You guys (the real guys, not Hollywood's portrayal) were an inspiration to my generation.

The lessons you taught us about enduring hardship, sacrifice, brotherhood, and surviving the 'coming home' were more valuable than gold.

Thanks for making us a home Dennis....

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another big WELCOME HOME to those who served in Vietnam and thoughts out to the ones who didn't return.

Thanks again for posting this Dennis and most of all thank you and all of the other Vietnam Vets for your service and for fighting for us.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Welcome home Dennis, you answered the call in a turbulent time, your sacrifices were not in vain. Communism isnt the powerfull force it once was. Because of your sacrifices and how yall were treated our veterans enjoy much better support and care.

We owe you freind.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, I have a bunch of friends on the Wall. I was not called, (just a little old--never got a number) and did not volunteer, but I do not share the shame that should burden most employers who would not touch the vets. I was in a position to hire about 200 returnees in excellent technical or managerial career tracks. I was sometimes criticized by my management for focusing too much on returning vets, but was able to persuade them that we were obligated.

There is a tendency to blame the "hippies" for this mistreatment, but at that time very few of them were in a position to hire anyone. Mainstream corporate America carries the blame, and nothing will ever make it right.

A very close friend of mine was terminally ill just after Desert Storm concluded. The last time I saw him he asked how the returnees were being treated. I described the large number of folks standing on Highway 62 between Altus, where the transports could land, and Fort Sill where many of the returnees were stationed. We were all waving flags or just our arms when the bus convoys passed by. He teared up and described a little group of NCO wives at Anchorage holding up a little banner saying "We're glad you're back." He said it was the only welcome he ever got when he came back to the world.

Dennis, thanks for being there. May the memory of what you and all the others did never be lost.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very close friend of mine was terminally ill just after Desert Storm concluded. The last time I saw him he asked how the returnees were being treated. I described the large number of folks standing on Highway 62 between Altus, where the transports could land, and Fort Sill where many of the returnees were stationed. We were all waving flags or just our arms when the bus convoys passed by. He teared up and described a little group of NCO wives at Anchorage holding up a little banner saying "We're glad you're back." He said it was the only welcome he ever got when he came back to the world.

I remember returning home from Desert Storm and feeling very strange and humbled at the time, especially because of the contrast to the way the Vietnam Vets were treated.

In many ways, those of us who served in Desert Storm received the grand return that the Vietnam Veterans SHOULD have received. I believe that in part, this was due to those very same Veterans organizing through groups like the VFW and American Legion and making sure that what happened to them did not happen again. Even today, they are ever humble, giving, supporting, and always looking out for those returning from battle.

Please take a little time today to think about our Vietnam Veterans. Thank them for their service, welcome them home and consider those who were lost in the fight. They are true heroes, deserving of honor, respect and appreciation... much more than was afforded them 40 years ago. The video that Spata posted is amazing and everyone should take the 2 minutes to watch it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom