80,000 M-1 Garands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are our own worst enemy. Non-profit acquires Garands...... cleans them up... gets them to the public and supports shooting sports. Some people whine about the price? I paid $600 each for 2 Garands from them BTW. Would pay it again.

Info/Report on the CMP.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/696882.pdf

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are our own worst enemy. Non-profit acquires Garands...... cleans them up... gets them to the public and supports shooting sports. Some people whine about the price? I paid $600 each for 2 Garands from them BTW. Would pay it again.

Info/Report on the CMP.

They also reimburse the Army for handling, packing, shipping, etc. It costs the military basically nothing from what I can tell and I'm sure they are happy to have them out of their way being they can't use them anymore.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Info/Report on the CMP.

I think $600 is a decent price, but a lot of people would like to have one that couldn't afford that.

I went to the Army Advanced Marksmanship Course back in 94. One of the instructors had only had the job a year and was making $55k a year. I dont know about everyone else that works for CMP, but I'm sure they live very well.

I chalk that up along with the CEO of GoodWill banking over $200K a year

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CMP isn’t about instructor salary. They are the largest organization in the country that promotes organized marksmanship and shooting events for all classes and ages. They operate their own facilities and host events at other facilities all over the country...and it’s almost all funded by gun sales.

That’s pretty friggin awesome if you ask me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think $600 is a decent price, but a lot of people would like to have one that couldn't afford that.

I went to the Army Advanced Marksmanship Course back in 94. One of the instructors had only had the job a year and was making $55k a year. I dont know about everyone else that works for CMP, but I'm sure they live very well.

I chalk that up along with the CEO of GoodWill banking over $200K a year

I have news for you, if you can't afford that, you can't afford to shoot it. Not that people are somehow entitled to cheap rifles anyways.

Thinking you know other people's salary (when you don't) and thinking you know how much they should be paid (when they are a private entity) is a dangerous slippery slope don't you think?

They freely admit they are trying to get enough money for an endowment to sustain the organization when the rifles dry up. Pretty smart if you ask me. Especially since they further shootings sports more than many organizations I can think of? If you have some concrete info on what they pay their employees I'd love to see it though.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this thread.... Guns are worth what people will pay for them. Same as employees. Quality workers at a nonprofit aren't worth any less than someone working for a for profit. The non-issue guns are going to bring a ton of money. There are guns on their auction now over 2k. Thankfully CMP has what appears to be some smart folks running their business so they can be sustained once the guns dry up.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have news for you, if you can't afford that, you can't afford to shoot it. Not that people are somehow entitled to cheap rifles anyways.

Thinking you know other people's salary (when you don't) and thinking you know how much they should be paid (when they are a private entity) is a dangerous slippery slope don't you think?

They freely admit they are trying to get enough money for an endowment to sustain the organization when the rifles dry up. Pretty smart if you ask me. Especially since they further shootings sports more than many organizations I can think of? If you have some concrete info on what they pay their employees I'd love to see it though.
well said brother

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While i would like to own both an M1 Garand and an M1 carbine, i refuse to pay over $800 for a decent shooter example. Someday i may be able to afford some nice WWII and Vietnam era guns, until then i will just enjoy learning about and the guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom