80% Ar15 Lower receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the 80% lowers I see cost as much or more than many 100% lowers and you need the jigs and tools to do it. Only advantage is it's not registered.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, different strokes for different folks.

And, for those who enjoy the diy aspect of it, it is truly yours. I have a mill, and have been wanting to do one forever. More skill required, more challenge. That kind of thing. Any of us morons can order an upper, buy a completed lower receiver, LPK, stock and tinker toy it together. It's like heroin. Sure that first build, second, third and fourth were fun, but now I need MORE! Boom. 80% lower.

That, and my ARs are all plain Jane, basic black. Clean. What's cleaner still? No markings, like the right side of the gun. Mmmmmmm.

Anderson sells them, black finish, for $45.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/anodized-80-lower-receiver/

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, selling it in the future. I worked with a guy who built an AR from an 80% lower. He tried to sell it and no one wanted to buy it. He heard everything from, "it was illegal for him to sell it" to "no serial number". He just kept it.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, selling it in the future. I worked with a guy who built an AR from an 80% lower. He tried to sell it and no one wanted to buy it. He heard everything from, "it was illegal for him to sell it" to "no serial number". He just kept it.

So get a cheap "legal" lower, swap the parts and sell the gun. Keep the "illegal" 80% lower for a future project...

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just build it to keep. I have only sold three ARs in the last 20 years. Regrettably, my first one, a light weight A1, early Bushmaster, a Colt A2, and a S&W M&P15 that I just had to have when they first came out.

I have no intentions of selling any more.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me jump in on this disscusion instead of starting another. Who do you think has the best 80% lowers? Is the jig needed or can it be done without? I dont want to buy a jig just to do one if I dont have to. I have access to the tools needed and wouldn't mind tinkering around with this as a project. I have read most of the rules and what-not, but do you think there is any chance in the future if laws changed that you could get in some sort of trouble for having one? I know you cant sale it, but one thing I found interesting is what happens to it when you die, who gets it?

Legal for the buyer to build and own, illegal to sell or transfer ownership.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can sell a rifle built on a home machined receiver, you just aren't allowed to make them to sell. I like Tactical Machining, but they are all about the same. You can do it without the jig, assuming you have a mill. The jig helps non machinists and those using drill presses to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom