80 V HF chainsaw vs gas saw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What a chump on the gas saw.
I will put my Poulan $100 saw up against any 80 V electric saw.
But we will run them until all the wood is cut.
My neighbor has a blue 80V from Lowes or somewhere and had to come get me when he was cutting up a fresh downed mulberry. About 18" diameter trunk.
He could get 1 cut and 1/2 way through the next cut and the battery would be dead.

Lets say the tables were flipped and he had a dull chain. Like the chain in the above on the gas saw.
Sharper chain will have worked better.

I almost want to go buy that HF saw (Harbor Freight) and do a real video.
No BS like the above.
Could the guy with the gas saw move any slower.

What a JOKE!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 20 Volt Dewalt and love it for what it does. I wouldn't attack an 18" tree with it but for trimming 2 to 3 inch branches it's a whole lot more convenient than a gas saw would be.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 20 Volt Dewalt and love it for what it does. I wouldn't attack an 18" tree with it but for trimming 2 to 3 inch branches it's a whole lot more convenient than a gas saw would be.
Yes, but have you ever had the carburetor foul or get gummed up with old gas?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to reading specs on cordless chainsaws at Lowe’s last weekend. I’ve got a pretty good collection of Kobalt 24v and its good stuff. I wasn’t really considering buying one, just reading specs n such. The Kobalt 24v 12” saw specs say it’ll gut 90 times through a treated 4x4 on one charge of the 4AH battery. I don’t believe it. Lol. I’m bout half tempted to buy it for the $179 just to see. Worst case I’d have another charger and battery to use in other tools. The specs on their 40v weren’t as good as the 24v and the specs on their 80v weren’t a ton better than the 24v. The 24v and 40v had 12” bars and the 80v had an 18”.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know who is running HF now. For so long chinamart just had cheap chinesium tools and you knew you got what you paid for. I got the email last night for their outdoor power tools. HF has either lost its mind or have some amazing marketing folks. They are moving into markets and trying to get folks to think their stuff compares with quality tools that have long history's of supporting their customers. I can see some folks adopting HF stuff but I can't imagine job sites all over the place with HF tools there.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know who is running HF now. For so long chinamart just had cheap chinesium tools and you knew you got what you paid for. I got the email last night for their outdoor power tools. HF has either lost its mind or have some amazing marketing folks. They are moving into markets and trying to get folks to think their stuff compares with quality tools that have long history's of supporting their customers. I can see the some folks adopting HF stuff but I can't imagine job sites all over the place with HF tools there.

I don't think they are trying to get snap-on/mac etc, but trying to break into the craftsman/rigid/husky/kobalt market. Home users that aren't going to Walmart or steves wholesale for their tools. IE homeowner grade, not apartment dwellers, nor professional users.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see what your saying @bigfug but then why do their advertisements show them comparing the inferior wares to Snap-on and other tool truck quality products in their own advertisements. Also there has been rumors of them doing financing on ICON boxes and tools.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of corded electric saws (one's a pole saw), and wouldn't trade 'em for brand new gas ones. Their power is impressive.

But I don't do anything far from the house/shop anymore either. Ha! And very little close to 'em... :D
:drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have had corded electric chain saws and those were impressive.
I did modify the oil tank on them. I cut down a 24" diameter silver maple and cut it all into firewood with one.
Yes, but have you ever had the carburetor foul or get gummed up with old gas?

Actually NO I have not. I use my saws at least monthly and even the ones that have sat for a couple years were not gummed up.
Never had a muffler gum up either.
My buddies have those issues.
I use Quick Silver 2 stroke oil in all my 2 stroke stuff it is TC-W3 rated.

M y1975 Bayliner With 1975 mercury 50Hp outbboard still runs like a top and fires right up every time I need it.
2 years ago I replaced the Factory original fuel lines on it.
Nothing but Quick Silver oil.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@blake711 , it's marketing. Some people want snap on like quality without the snap on price. I have a few blue point, snap on specialties etc. I want good tools. I have shopped at HF and Steve's before, but thats for 1x use stuff. I think HF is trying to move away from that and get the people who would otherwise go to Lowes or HD for tools. They can use a coupon and walk away feeling like they got a "quality" product at a bargain price. Would I compare any of their stuff to a truck quality tool? No, but again, marketing. Do any of the gals shopping at Victoria Secret think they are gonna look like the models on the runway and catalogues? No, but I bet they still look good and someone's gonna still be happy about it ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom