80%

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did my 80% lower last night, I really did not want an AR but I caved.
As long as it was cheap, as I am cheap.
I got the aluminum 80% for $29.99 and the rest of the gun with stainless barrel for $359.

Took awhile to finish the lower so all the parts had perfect clearance.
say 4 hours.
I measured different triggers and hammers at the pin width area and they do not all measure the same..some are .015" wider than others.
I also checked the clearances on a few 100% lowers and the parts that came in them.. there is quite a bit of slack between the inside of the well and the steel moving parts.
Leads me to think the clearances are not real critical.

The pin holes you must drill 3 of them are a little more critical..in they must be in the right spot.. not an issue with the jig.

It just takes time to remove all that aluminum.
$29.99 I thought I will bite.
Mine is 5.56 with 1:7 twist.
Thinking about anodizing it myself also.. seems pretty easy.. some battery acid and distilled water and power source leads and dye.

Unless there is something cheaper and just as good.. My buddy is going to paint his. Krylon probably.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I love completing 80% lowers! It's a lot of fun, and less hassle for me because every time I buy a new firearm, my background check will get a delay 100% of the time and will take me a week to get my gun. It's easier for me to just buy a bunch of 80%'s and mill one out when I feel like doing another AR build....like I'm doing tonight, for example.

This is just one of the many benefits to being divorced....I can't do this outside at 11:30pm cause it will wake my neighbors, so it's time to get aluminum shavings all over my living room hahaha

He's right though — unless you plan on doing several builds, the cost of the jig, router, and other materials can be pretty high. If you live in Tulsa, and want to complete an 80%, you are welcome to use my jig. Legally speaking, I'm pretty sure it's okay to do that. As long as I don't use my tools and do it for you, then it's probably fine for you to use it. I'm pretty certain that the law says you have to do the mill work on it yourself.

View attachment 96519

View attachment 96520

View attachment 96521

View attachment 96522

My wife would kick me in the arse for doing that in the living room!
However, I do build an occasional lower at the kitchen table while she is at work...ssshhh

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just did my 80% lower last night, I really did not want an AR but I caved.
As long as it was cheap, as I am cheap.
I got the aluminum 80% for $29.99 and the rest of the gun with stainless barrel for $359.

Took awhile to finish the lower so all the parts had perfect clearance.
say 4 hours.
I measured different triggers and hammers at the pin width area and they do not all measure the same..some are .015" wider than others.
I also checked the clearances on a few 100% lowers and the parts that came in them.. there is quite a bit of slack between the inside of the well and the steel moving parts.
Leads me to think the clearances are not real critical.

The pin holes you must drill 3 of them are a little more critical..in they must be in the right spot.. not an issue with the jig.

It just takes time to remove all that aluminum.
$29.99 I thought I will bite.
Mine is 5.56 with 1:7 twist.
Thinking about anodizing it myself also.. seems pretty easy.. some battery acid and distilled water and power source leads and dye.

Unless there is something cheaper and just as good.. My buddy is going to paint his. Krylon probably.

Good for you man.

If you have the ability, Duracoat. Its great stuff.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
PICS of the build please!! Need gun pics to motivate me LOL. Just don't tell the wife I am looking at AR parts lol

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife would kick me in the arse for doing that in the living room!
However, I do build an occasional lower at the kitchen table while she is at work...ssshhh

lol see? You are just as guilty. For the record, I am now divorced and my entire house has pretty much turned into an armory.....which is the way it should be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom