9/11/01 Where were you when you heard or saw the attack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Michigan, scheduled to fly home here in Okla that afternoon. Needless to say, that didn't happen, couldn't get with in 5 miles of the Detroit airport.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was sitting in the computer lab playing Runescape when I was in 8th grade. We were supposed to be doing keyboarding exercise but the teacher left the room and came back and turned on the TV when only the 1st plane had hit. We stayed late in class watching and saw the 2nd plane hit. For the rest of the day, we combined classes to watch TV in the rooms that had them and saw the presidential response, tower collapse and then about lunch a lot of parents came and checked their kids out.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another youngster here.

I was standing in the hall outside my 8th grade history teachers class, who was an old friend of my dad, when the first plane hit. Someone had informed him about the first plane hitting the north tower, but at the time nobody new what was happening. Class was just about to start and we all went in and turned on the TV, just in time to see the second plane hit the south tower. It was very surreal. The rest of the day we spent glued to the TV. In said history teacher's class, that's all we did for weeks after the attack; we watched the news and talked. He was not going to teach history when a historical event was happening live.

I remember the gas stations that afternoon in suburban Tulsa having lines and people waiting roughly an hour to get gas. You'd see people pulling up with the back seats and the trunks of their car full of newly purchased plastic gas cans. I remember the reaction of the public, in Oklahoma, all those miles away, being the scariest part to me. That's still the only part of a terrorist attack that scares me. My sister was in Missouri planning to drive back to Tulsa and the situation was the same there. They could not access a gas station to get gas due to the crowds of panicked people; had they been any lower on fuel they'd have been stuck.

I walked into the local gas station and the Tulsa World had printed an emergency edition "AMERICA UNDER ATTACK" paper. I bought about 10 of them and still have a few today.

Last edited:

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just getting to work at Harley-Davidson World (S.Agnew) when the first plane hit. They pulled out a big t.v. so we could watch the news, and saw the other plane hit the tower. Horrible. We all stood there, some quiet, some gasps, some raging, and so on. I remember wondering who and why.

It was a bad day, but for me anyway, downtown OKC was harder for me to deal with. I know it wasn't as big, or an international terrorist hit, but it was home. I didn't even know anyone that died, but it felt like I did. Know what I mean? Tears just came out, as we watched them begin digging.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at work at a call center in Oklahoma City. All of the sudden a call center that took approximately close to 100,000 calls a day went silent. The phones stopped ringing. Everyone just sat and watched. By the time the two towers collapsed they had sent us home for safety.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sleeping in my Dorm Room on the 4th floor of Adam's Hall at OU. Cell phone range to my friend telling me we were under attack. I woke up the guys in the room next to us and told them to turn their TV on. Shortly after it came on we saw the second plane hit.

I still remember the cold chills I felt watching that plane stike the second tower.

Needless to say the only professor I had that kept class going that day was the woman that taught Spanish 1. She could care less. Everyone else knew the gravity of the situation and decided it would be best to cancel class for the day.

I can tell you where I was on April 19th and when news broke of the Columbine tragedy as well. Its amazing how we can recall this information from events like these.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was playing golf in a tournament in Shawnee. Some of the guys started getting cell phone calls about the Towers. We didn't know about the gravity of the situation until later that afternoon.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you where I was on April 19th and when news broke of the Columbine tragedy as well. Its amazing how we can recall this information from events like these.

I know the exact spot I was at when I heard and felt the big boom.

No freaking clue about columbine though.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the 6th grade at the time. My class had a big screen tv in it that we used seldomly but that morning the teacher had it on, so I knew it had to be for something out of the ordinary. We sat down and watched the news the entire day.

I felt kind of numb because at that age you know wars happen however things like that never happen that close to home. I have a bad memory but I will never forget that day and it was a humble awakening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom