9mm AR what are the cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the 9mm< it is simply cheaper ammo. More bang for the buck......In close distance shootings, the 9mm, if fed with quality ammo will do the job quite nicely. I prefer a 5.56, but the cost of ammo is crazy....and a 9mm psitol+a $200 tax stamp=a SBR, HIGH CDI FACTOR....:naughty:

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to talk to RustyZX9. He's been running a SBR 9mm AR in the 3 gun competitions. He should be able to help you out with the pros and cons of both.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the 9mm< it is simply cheaper ammo. More bang for the buck......In close distance shootings, the 9mm, if fed with quality ammo will do the job quite nicely. I prefer a 5.56, but the cost of ammo is crazy....and a 9mm psitol+a $200 tax stamp=a SBR, HIGH CDI FACTOR....:naughty:

What? I couldn't hear you over the bad a**ness of my rifle. :D

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_ARs_105e1b06.jpg

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Much more recoil (it jumps around a lot more than a standard AR, but it still is pleasent to shoot) as it is a direct blow back weapon (9mm) and the bolt group is vey heavy. Much shorter effective range. Much less available spare parts like extractors, firing pins, ejectors etc. Hard to find magazines depending on which 9mm you end up with. Much more ammo sensitive for propper functioning. Kind of like wearing pink silk underwear...it may be cool but you don't want anyone else to find out you have them:igetit:, unless it is suppressed and A.T.A.S. KurtM

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my 9mm AR for awhile now and REALLY enjoy using it. I cannot disagree with KurtM except for the pink silk underwear part, I don't have any experience with that. lol... The biggest thing about having a 9mm AR is getting your mind around the fact that it's a 9mm and being prepared to deal with the limitations therein. I do have to admit that I've been shooting a .223 for most everything in the last few months due to the 100% reliablilty. I had a little trouble with the 9mm jamming up during match shooting. For close in shooting and cheaper trigger time the 9mm is really outstanding with the proper ammo. Mine is also the Colt pattern with makes parts and magazines somewhat easier to find. I still really like mine and would build it again if I had it to do over... and it's really cool with the can and some subsonic ammo, you know like pink underwear... lol!!!!

If the op would like to try it out, I shoot at H&H quite a bit and would be happy to bring the 9mm out for a test drive if it makes deciding easier...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my 9mm AR for awhile now and REALLY enjoy using it. I cannot disagree with KurtM except for the pink silk underwear part, I don't have any experience with that. lol... The biggest thing about having a 9mm AR is getting your mind around the fact that it's a 9mm and being prepared to deal with the limitations therein. I do have to admit that I've been shooting a .223 for most everything in the last few months due to the 100% reliablilty. I had a little trouble with the 9mm jamming up during match shooting. For close in shooting and cheaper trigger time the 9mm is really outstanding with the proper ammo. Mine is also the Colt pattern with makes parts and magazines somewhat easier to find. I still really like mine and would build it again if I had it to do over... and it's really cool with the can and some subsonic ammo, you know like pink underwear... lol!!!!

If the op would like to try it out, I shoot at H&H quite a bit and would be happy to bring the 9mm out for a test drive if it makes deciding easier...

+1. I love my rifle a ton, but I don't have any illusions of it being equal to a normal 5.56 AR. It has more cool points for sure, but if I had a choice I wouldn't want to bet my life on mine. It is probably still 95%+ reliable, but that means it james 3-5 times every 3 mags. It shoots everything I've fed it the same. Flat point, hollow point, round nose, 115, 124, 147, etc. It does have that going for it. Not ammo picky at all.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see several folks are saying they are not 100% reliable, but do you know why? Another member on here has a 9mm AR with a RDIAS in it and he brought it out to the range on veterans day and it ran 100%. We shot a LOT of ammo thru it and it was almost all on full-auto including at least 1 Beta dump. I would say that they can be reliable if his is an example, but I do not know what issues others are having.

Latest posts

Top Bottom