9mm bullets for high volume shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say that with the difference between cast bullets and plated, you could pay for an aftermarket barrel pretty quick, but looks like you are already thinking about it...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought most of my plated bullets from Mitch at J&K, I much prefer the Extreme over Berrys. I bought a very large quantity of bullets at an auction last year and am still going through those. When I run out, I will be back at J&K again.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the volume you are shooting if you bought an after market barrel for your Glock you could shoot cast lead and save enough in two months to pay for the barrel. Then you could buy J&K cast bullets. I shoot them in my stock Glock barrel.

Your third month would save you enought to buy a Lewis Lead Remover from Brownells or use the pieces of a brass brillo type pad to get the lead out. I have the Lewis tool. J&k bullets produce less leading in my Glock barrel than in my six inch Storm Lake barrel for my G20.

The plating on lead bullets is thin and it is usually put onto soft lead bullets. Hard cast bullets are not a problem with leading. If you shoot lead bullets you can go with heavier bullets and get velocities down which will also keep leading down.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the volume you are shooting if you bought an after market barrel for your Glock you could shoot cast lead and save enough in two months to pay for the barrel. Then you could buy J&K cast bullets. I shoot them in my stock Glock barrel.

Your third month would save you enought to buy a Lewis Lead Remover from Brownells or use the pieces of a brass brillo type pad to get the lead out. I have the Lewis tool. J&k bullets produce less leading in my Glock barrel than in my six inch Storm Lake barrel for my G20.

The plating on lead bullets is thin and it is usually put onto soft lead bullets. Hard cast bullets are not a problem with leading. If you shoot lead bullets you can go with heavier bullets and get velocities down which will also keep leading down.

You know you are pretty much spot on. I don't know why I am being such a cheapskate right now. I guess being a new Daddy I am trying to be more responsible. I hadn't heard of the Lewis Lead Remover. I'll have to look that up. Thanks for the tip!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have adapters for .38/9mm, .40/10mm, .44, and.45. I have raised two and I commend you for being a cheapskate. There are times when spending wisely is less costly that just looking for the lowest price. Read up on using pieces of brass scouring pads to remove lead. I would have tried that instead of buying the Lewis Lead Remover.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some pads that look like copper, but are steel with copper flashed on them. Bad JuJu for a barrel.

Chore Boy is the brand I have seen being used. I think the youtube video I posted the link to says to use the all copper pads. I bought my Lewis Lead Remover almost thirty years ago or i would use the scouring pads. I never heard about using the scouring pads until a few years ago.

I bought the tool about the same time I started casting bullets and i was casting mostly for my .44 magnum. I was casting a gas check bullet and lubing them well enough that I never had any leading problems. The lead remover was rarely used.

If everything is done well enough leading will be minimal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom