9mm Defensive Ammo Weight Preference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to what weight of 9mm ammo everyone uses, for defensive purposes? I tend to go for heavier bullets, but have lost the train of thought I used to arrive at that conclusion :drooling:. My usual goto is 147 grain Speer Gold Dot, but I have tried others in various weights and manufacturers. The Speers just gave me less trouble than the others with cycling in my PCC and I try to use the same ammo in it as my pistol. So what does everyone use?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to a lot of reading many years ago I have always carried with 147 gr 9mm. I practice with whatever is affordable except when I think it's time to rotate out the old with some new.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently switched to 124 g FMJ RN from Rocky Mountain reloading. I have cycled about 3k through my carry gun with zero problems. Just bought another 2K for under $100/1000. Before this I used 115 g for years. No problems with them either.

The reason I switched was I had read that IDPA requires a “power factor” and the 124 g allows me to meet that requirement without loading “hot” rounds. I do not participate in IDPA at this time but might in the future.

My carry ammo is 115 g gold dot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom