9mm Defensive Ammo Weight Preference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To start, I have never tested a round beyond reliability and accuracy. I don’t use any round for defensive purposes that I have not shot at least 200 rounds of per gun.

In my SIG P225, I have been carrying 115gr Hornady FTX “Critical Defense” really for no other reason but that I have a lot of them (when I buy ammunition, I tend to buy when/where I can get free shipping and will buy 500 to 2,000 rounds at a time … kind of a hoarder). For my Dan Wesson 9mm Valor and my CMMG Banshee (one of my “nightstand” guns), I like Federal’s 124gr bonded round … good stuff. At some point with the Banshee I will go to Winchester’s “Defender” 147gr bonded JHP or Speer 147gr “Gold Dots”. Last year, I tried them and bought a bunch of each.

Beyond 9mm … for 45’s, I still run the old Winchester 230gr “Black Talon” in my Smith & Wesson 625 (my other “nightstand” gun that is next to the Banshee). Only have a box left and will transition to Hornady’s 200grXTP. For my SIGs and Colts in 45ACP that I carry, I REALLY like Federal’s 210gr “Hydra Shok”. Had been carrying Hornady’s 185gr FTX “Critical Defense” and was going to move over to Federal 230gr “Hydra-Shok” or their 230gr. “HST”. Just like that 210gr. a little better.

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday and was shooting 147 gr FMJ with my suppressor on the gun. The blowback was horrible. If I shot it in self defense without my glasses on it would be like throwing sand in my eyes. It’s never happened with 155gr

I never really gave it any thought until them. Normally just use 115 gr (range ammo) and never considered it might be an issue. I’ll have to try some 128 gr and see what the blowback is. Defender Ammunition in NC has 128 gr is just sub sonic. I like their stuff. PSA currently has a sale on NATO 1,500 round ammo cans for .25 per round.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday and was shooting 147 gr FMJ with my suppressor on the gun. The blowback was horrible. If I shot it in self defense without my glasses on it would be like throwing sand in my eyes. It’s never happened with 155gr

I never really gave it any thought until them. Normally just use 115 gr (range ammo) and never considered it might be an issue. I’ll have to try some 128 gr and see what the blowback is. Defender Ammunition in NC has 128 gr is just sub sonic. I like their stuff. PSA currently has a sale on NATO 1,500 round ammo cans for .25 per round.
What gun? I’ve only had it happen with direct blow back.

Paul Box

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
115 gr. Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators 1025 fps, then Nosler 147gr ASP 825 fps
Can tap a nine inch plate at 100 yards with both.
My mindset is if I can hit you in the nose at 25 yds I can put it in your head at 100.

IMG_3796.jpg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To start, I have never tested a round beyond reliability and accuracy. I don’t use any round for defensive purposes that I have not shot at least 200 rounds of per gun.

In my SIG P225, I have been carrying 115gr Hornady FTX “Critical Defense” really for no other reason but that I have a lot of them (when I buy ammunition, I tend to buy when/where I can get free shipping and will buy 500 to 2,000 rounds at a time … kind of a hoarder). For my Dan Wesson 9mm Valor and my CMMG Banshee (one of my “nightstand” guns), I like Federal’s 124gr bonded round … good stuff. At some point with the Banshee I will go to Winchester’s “Defender” 147gr bonded JHP or Speer 147gr “Gold Dots”. Last year, I tried them and bought a bunch of each.

Beyond 9mm … for 45’s, I still run the old Winchester 230gr “Black Talon” in my Smith & Wesson 625 (my other “nightstand” gun that is next to the Banshee). Only have a box left and will transition to Hornady’s 200grXTP. For my SIGs and Colts in 45ACP that I carry, I REALLY like Federal’s 210gr “Hydra Shok”. Had been carrying Hornady’s 185gr FTX “Critical Defense” and was going to move over to Federal 230gr “Hydra-Shok” or their 230gr. “HST”. Just like that 210gr. a little better.
I too stocked up on the 115gr hornady ftx stuff years back. It’s good stuff! I had one circumstance where I needed to stop a problem critter and the 115gr ftx was quite effective

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
147 has proven best for me in gel testing. 115/124gr does carry more kinetic energy, but 147 punches a bit deeper and expands a bit wider. it also tends to have less muzzle flip than the 115/124 varieties.

Latest posts

Top Bottom