9mm+P OR 38spl.+P

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREGO

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at a +P 9mm round vs a +P 38spl round, both coming out of a short barrel CC type gun, between 2"-3" barrel...are the two on par with eachother, or does one out shine the other? I am starting to get in to revolver cartridges, and am curious if the 38spl+P is sort of like the 9mm of the revolver world??

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alot will depend on the type of firearm you plan on using. If both are alloy frames then its prudent that you do most of your practice with standard velocity ammunition to decress the wear and tear on the frames. If both are all steel frames then a steady diet of +P won't be an issue. Velocities an chamber pressures tend to be higher for the 9MM+P than the .38SPL+P, yet the .38SPL+P can be had in heavier projectiles, and tend to perform better due to the fact that the largest weight projectile, 158gr, usually doesn't have a copper jacket to impede expansion. Even the heaviest 9MM, 147gr, is still jacketed, and in +P configuration it still has a jacket an its velocities are similar to the .38SPL 158gr +P loading.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I consider the 38+P and standard pressure 9mm to be roughly the same in terms of practical effects.

One thing to remember when comparing barrel lengths is semi-autos include the length of the chamber and revolvers do not include the cylinder length. So a snubby 38 would have a comparable barrel length of about 3.5 inches if the cylinder (chamber) was included. It's not a perfect comparison due to the gap (pressure loss) between the cylinder and barrel.

GREGO

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot will depend on the type of firearm you plan on using. If both are alloy frames then its prudent that you do most of your practice with standard velocity ammunition to decress the wear and tear on the frames. If both are all steel frames then a steady diet of +P won't be an issue. Velocities an chamber pressures tend to be higher for the 9MM+P than the .38SPL+P, yet the .38SPL+P can be had in heavier projectiles, and tend to perform better due to the fact that the largest weight projectile, 158gr, usually doesn't have a copper jacket to impede expansion. Even the heaviest 9MM, 147gr, is still jacketed, and in +P configuration it still has a jacket an its velocities are similar to the .38SPL 158gr +P loading.

So, with the aluminum alloy frame of a S&W 442 airweight, the bulk of ammo used should be standard pressure instead of +P...even though they rate the airweight 442 for +P?

They (S&W) say the barrel length of the 442 is 1 7/8" but the saleman actually said it was 2"...simply, is the 38spl a good performer out that short of a barrel...I guess it would be superior to a .380 short barreled gun??

I realize that a revolver of this size is made for very close encounters...all the same, I am starting to become curious if the 38spl/+P will "outshine" 9mm/+P??

No matter, I really like this revolver, and it definately has its place.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After you get through studying the two and deciding how many angels can dance on the head of each cartridge, suggest you buy a case of standard ammo in whichever caliber you prefer and try to wear out the gun. There is not enough difference in terminal ballistics of the two to ovrcome bad hits.

Does not matter how great the cartridge is if you suffer from CHS (can't hit stuff)

And then try an IDPA match to see how you do with a little stress added.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That 442 with either cartridge is adequate IF you do your part. Like others have said you probably should practice with standard pressure rounds because you really need to practice a lot more since they are so much harder to hit with. It's not the gun, it's inheritantly as accurate as any, but the shorter sight radius is a definite factor.

My theory is that S&W rated them for +P simply because they know that most people aren't going to shoot all that much +P. Because it ain't any fun at all after about 3 or 4 cylinders worth.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Speer 135gr GDHP 38spl +P clocks 830ish out of my little j-frame.

Speer 124gr GDHP 9mm (not +P) clocks 1015ish out of my EMP.

I like both cartridges a lot, I carry both guns. Choice depends on my attire for the day.

I can tell no functional difference in weight when I'm carrying, and the EMP just isn't that much bigger.

I would like to try a USPSA match with the EMP though.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, with the aluminum alloy frame of a S&W 442 airweight, the bulk of ammo used should be standard pressure instead of +P...even though they rate the airweight 442 for +P?

They (S&W) say the barrel length of the 442 is 1 7/8" but the saleman actually said it was 2"...simply, is the 38spl a good performer out that short of a barrel...I guess it would be superior to a .380 short barreled gun??

I realize that a revolver of this size is made for very close encounters...all the same, I am starting to become curious if the 38spl/+P will "outshine" 9mm/+P??

No matter, I really like this revolver, and it definately has its place.

Even though its rare, it is possible to crack the frame right above the cylinder lug/frame under the barrel with constant use of +P ammunition. There is a friend of mine over on the S&W forum who split his frame on his model 38 bodyguard doing this. So its prudent to shoot enough +P to know where its hitting and use standard velocity for practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom