1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9mm pistol suppresor..worth doing or not

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by ssgrock3, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know not hollywood quiet. I hated the walther p22 with a gemtech..suppresor was cool, but gun is a POS. but the short barrel makes for a quiet shooting. my gemtech on a 10/22 is loud to me even with subsonic, though better.

My point is, are 9mm suppresors worth it. Will it be fun to shoot, quiet enough to shoot in my yard? I know not, but I have not shot one in person. platform is g22 with threaded conversion barrel.

Yhm cobra seems to be a good option that works and it not hella expensive.

what do you all think or have experianced?

2. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Watch the videos on major malfunctions website and see for yourself. I think they are pretty quiet. The Tac-65 I have on my P22 is great. Quiet as heck with sonic, and even quieter with subsonic. I don't think Hollywood quiet really exists. JMHO.

3. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    What Subsonic ammo are you running through your 10/22? All the ones I have seen have been pretty darn quiet as long as the ammo stayed Sub Sonic.

9mm's Suppressed can be pretty scary quiet as long as you have a steady supply o n 147gr ammo and the cobra m2 is a pretty good one. you really need to find someone who has one and try it out

4. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have an SWR Trident 9 and love the hell out of it with subs. It sounds like a nail gun. Nothing about the sound says gun shot and if it weren't illegal I'd have no problem shooting it in my backyard without the neighbors knowing.

I want a .22 can, but the 9mm can would probably still be the funnest to shoot. My 338 Lapua AAC TITAN would trump it if the ammo wasn't so expensive and it didn't abuse my shoulder. :D

5. EXD 45

EXD 45 Sharpshooter

Hopefully soon I'll be getting a Osprey 9 can. After watching some videos
    I think those are pretty quiet....
    I also think it depends on the ammo, ammunition Togo has some fiocchi 158 grain that I would think would be the best

But truthfully I have no idea. I have only been reading about this stuff

6. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I would not base any opinion of a suppressor on a video. Almost all microphones cutoff well below the sound of the suppressor and therefore will sound far quieter on the video then they do in person. Also, since all microphones are not the same, there would be no way to compare two or more suppressors on a video unless they were recorded with the same equipment, under the same atmospheric conditions, using the same platform and ammo. Like others have already mentioned, find someone with a 9mm suppressor and listen to it for yourself. What may be very quiet to someone else may not be that quiet to you. Just my humble opinion, YMMV.

7. Wall

Wall Sharpshooter

I have a Cobra M2 that I run on both 9mm & .45acp AR's.
    I'd be happy to meet you at H&H sometime to let you try it out on both.

Also, Bryon (MajorMalfunction) let me put a couple thru his demo before I bought it. He may/may not normally do this. I think he's much busier now.

It'd have been ideal for you to come to the NFA day we had back in June.
    You could have demo'd just about any can you wanted, on just about any platform, as much as you wanted all for only the cost of ammo.

8. Wall

Wall Sharpshooter

No need to buy subsonic.
    I can shoot CCI std. with my Sparrow on my AR .22 or my Buckmark as quiet as can be.
    The Std. Velocity CCI stays subsonic thru my guns. Thru a long rifle barell? Maybe not, YMMV. The listed Velocity is I think 1080fps whereas the CCI subsonic was I think 1050. I don't have them in front of me, but I remeber the diff. was around 30fps.
    The Federal Bulk will crack from my AR, but not my Buckmark.

I think when you get the .22 can you may end up with a new fav.

9. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I really enjoy shooting my suppressed G-17. It's an individual choice. I'd suggest shooting a couple before spending the $$$.

10. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I dunno. I've shot a lot of suppressed .22 now and it is definitely cool, but I really like quiet 9mm. I was bump firing my AR yesterday and it was almost as grin inducing as the real mccoy.