9mm vs Spartan body armor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot that same ammo at the 1305 fps (+/- 30 fps) that IIIa armor is certified for and see what happens. Shooting armor with rounds that are well above the rated threshold, and marveling at the result is kind of ghey.
DOJ ratings are for specific; and sometimes lesser, threats only.

Not trying to piss any one off or rain on your parade. Just pointing it out for those who dont know.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot that same ammo at the 1305 fps (+/- 30 fps) that IIIa armor is certified for and see what happens. Shooting armor with rounds that are well above the rated threshold, and marveling at the result is kind of ghey.
DOJ ratings are for specific; and sometimes lesser, threats only.

Not trying to piss any one off or rain on your parade. Just pointing it out for those who dont know.
not pissing me of. I don't know much about body armor so I thought it was cool. But I understand what you are saying. I didn't realize they were rated for that. Of course what he was shooting was way over that. What is the point of law enforcement wearing body armor if it isn't going to stop a high velocity round? Or do they have some armor that is rated for the higher stuff?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the point of law enforcement wearing body armor if it isn't going to stop a high velocity round? Or do they have some armor that is rated for the higher stuff?

Mobility and comfort weighed against the probable threat. Your average street thug isn't going to be carrying a gun loaded with rare 1980's production specialty armor piercing ammo…they'll be carrying Walmart ball or hollow point ammo.

Sure, you could walk around in Level IV all day, but it would be an unnecessary suckfest...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not pissing me of. I don't know much about body armor so I thought it was cool. But I understand what you are saying. I didn't realize they were rated for that. Of course what he was shooting was way over that. What is the point of law enforcement wearing body armor if it isn't going to stop a high velocity round? Or do they have some armor that is rated for the higher stuff?
I'm glad you weren't. Body armor is selected; among other things, for the anticipated threat. This means that compromises are made, for better or worse.
EDIT: since SMS beat me to it, and explained it better than I did.
LOL @ "Not trying to piss anyone off..." and referring to them as "Ghey" in the same breath.
You left out this part, " Just pointing it out for those who dont know."
Someone like MAC should know better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom