A few lessons learned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reloading for several years now and have had, what I consider, decent success with loads and groups out to 200 yards target (yes, I know this isn't long distance but as far as my backyard range allows) and 350 yards hunting. Well, recently a user on the site gave me a killer deal on a hornady OAL guage, a set of comparators and the headspace guage, all new in the boxes for $40. I then ordered a hornady modified case for my 260 and went to work to compare all the "new" data with all my previous sizing data.

My previous method, without the OAL guage, was to split a case, neck size it, then work a bullet in and around until the neck was loose enough to move the bullet easily in by chambering it. This is the method I've used on 4 different calibers and, like I said have had decent luck and have read about the method being used by many others.

What I've found now on two different calibers is that it seems I've been getting a bit much into the lands using my previous method, usually showing close to .20 closer than with the OAL guage shows just kissing the lands. As an example with the Nosler Accubond 130, after multiple chamberings using my previous method I showed approx 2.90 to the lands. This was with the split fired case, and I'm assuming the hornady modifed case, not being fire formed, would not make that much of difference. With the modifed case I got approx 2.78 to the lands. That's a pretty big difference and has really made me question my previously assumed "good" method.

I've been loading up a bunch of new load using the new sizing and am very curious to see what, if any, group changes I'll be seeing. I've invested in many upgrades to my reloading desk and really kind of mad at myself for not getting some of these sooner. Well, lesson learned.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many ways to get to a good spot for really good accuracy.
Your old way is just fine and I bet put the bullet where you wanted it to go.
This new tool will get you to the same spot just taking a different road to get there.

I do not split my case to find the lands.
I just load a projectile long in a sized case.
I color the bullet with a marker and then chamber it and extract it.
I will see marks on the colored bullet where the lands are I can then seat deeper and deeper until no more marks are made when chambering.
This is all the way off the lands or lead area .

Taper lead angle and taper lead length just more things to mess with us handloaders. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom