A gun control proposal that everyone should support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It concerns me from a safety standpoint. At some point along the way, many (not all) agencies developed policies and procedures that seem to utilize these "knock" raids that are nothing more than thinly veiled no knock raids. When you hit a residence at 5-6AM, knock and yell "Police!" then hit the door with a ram in 5-10 seconds, that isn't any reasonable amount of time for anyone to come open the door if they're asleep. In U.S. V. Banks, SCOTUS set a standard of 15-20 seconds, but that the actual time could be shorter based on the totality of the circumstances. In most all raid service I've viewed, the time interval is significantly less.

Even no-knocks have climbed dramatically. The number of no-knock raids has increased from 3,000 in 1981 to more than 50,000 in 2005 by some estimates. Raids that lead to deaths of innocent people are increasingly common. Since the early 1980s, 40 bystanders have been killed according to the Cato Institute.

I'm VERY pro-LE, but excessive use of raids leads to PR problems and unnecessarily endangers innocent people. It's a pretty simple equation that we can't reasonably capture every criminal. Based on the totality of the circumstances, some of these raids just don't make sense in the grand scheme of things.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another benefit of our very successful "war on drugs". Add in cash money siezed by leos, and one might get the impression that a citizen must justify all his/her actions to the "authorities".
Nice to hear that"no-knock" searches are up, that paired with proposed new gun legislation should make us all a bit safer.
Don't get pulled over with large amounts of cash, you'll have some 'splainin to do...
Anyone remember Johnny Lawmaster's gun shop in Tulsa? Seems an angry divorce can lead to Feds kicking down your door, and don't sue them - you might just make things worse for yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom