A little hunting and scouting...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had planned on looking for some early Snipe migrants, but I pretty much changed my plans on finding any Snipe after I looked at the lake levels online. But the good thing is for me at least; the high water will kill the vegetation and make for some great Snipe habitat when the water recedes.

So I just went on an all small game hunt and general scouting mission. I walked a public tract of land in Oklahoma that I had never hunted before. The Dog and I jumped all of rabbit, dove, squirrel, and Crows.

Did we find Squirrels, yes we did! Blaze made me take this hero picture of her. I tried to talk her out of it, but I finally gave in. Just can't argue with a dog.

awww.fototime.com_C2DF08F17AF61CA_standard.jpg

Squirrels were right on the water of the lake. and not up in the main body of trees. They seemed to like individual pecan trees on the water this day. There was three in the tree I took this one from. I missed number two, and did not shoot at number three which was on the heels of squirrel number two. Those two got high in the tree tops and made great jumps from tree to tree until I could no longer see them. I was impressed and frustrated at the same time. Others were in singles.

awww.fototime.com_4A91D0600956FB6_standard.jpg

The main body of trees had several murders of crows working them. It was almost like deer hunting during the rut. They were so focused on the pecans I was able to walk up pretty close to some groups. I was only wearing blue jeans and a brown T shirt. No camos and no calls with me. Still when I got close to the Crows, I would just hug a tree, send Blaze ahead, then make a sound I can't reproduce in text. Kind of a Bwaaaak with 5 second pauses. It did not sound like a Crow, but it did not sound like anything else. But the Crows went nuts over it and I even had Buzzards in the tree tops working me. Blaze would stop and look at me wondering what I was doing and she worked well as a substitute Owl decoy. It was fun and I am glad no one was around to see me standing against those trees going Bwaaaak, Bwaaaak, Bwaaaaak.

awww.fototime.com_07658BF53BE5199_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_429F7F6883494CA_standard.jpg

We did have an issue with one Crow today. When Blaze picked it up, it was like a "Squeaky Toy" and you guessed it. She had some fun with it. But it did not stick. When we got into some Dove later, not once did she try to squeak them. So I was happy about that.

awww.fototime.com_D573EF4BD1C6026_standard.jpg

Then some waterfowl scouting. "Now that's what I'm Talkin Bout!" Eye Candy for the upcoming season.

awww.fototime.com_3C7F5592FB1A0B1_standard.jpg

I saw wood ducks on all the creeks. I saw two Gadwall, four Mallard Drakes, and one Flock of Teal. I drove a lot and glassed a lot of water. That is all I saw and not all those were on huntable water.

awww.fototime.com_0A8F9ECEA5626D6_standard.jpg

You just never know what you will walk up on when exploring a new area. Big Foot, Black Panther, or.... Snapping Turtle. Just crawling down a trail. This was not near a water source so it must have walked a long ways and had a long ways to go with a cold night ahead. We consulted helping out, but when the turtle tried to bite me, I got the message and let it be.

awww.fototime.com_844134DE722FC60_standard.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics! Sounds like a good day afield with a cherished companion.

I gotta say though, I hate snapping turtles and would have helped it on it's way to turtle heaven. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom