A Man Ought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be willing to work to provide for himself and his family.

To be willing to fight, even though he might lose, if the need arises.

To be respectful of women (if the woman will allow it).

Love his country.

Stand up for what he believes in.

Be loyal to his friends and family (unless they betray him).

Stand up for the underdog (if the underdog is right).

What say you OSA?

Been watching Gunsmoke again?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"A MAN OUGHT TO" almost fits into something that should suggest what should be done, right, upstanding, not mashing or taking away, or waiting for someone else to do something. Stand up and do it yourself.

It seems the definitions of words I learned and had a mental image of what they represented growing up are now twisted to other meanings.

It seems that it is now similar to cussing in public if you confront someone and call them a liar if they just told you something that they know is not true. Call them a thief if they just caused something to be taken from you that was yours and they now claim possession of. Call them dishonest if they have not been fully truthful in their ways of presenting something that reflects the true meaning.

These words no longer exist as they had during my formation.

In the past you had the option to deal or not deal with individuals who fit into participating in the above categories to protect yourself. In the past, most of my financial transactions were with individuals, and I paid a few taxes. Now, because of government involvement in most everything I touch involves taxes or government regulations. Most of my transactions are priced on the involvement of the government regulations of the item I am dealing with, or the twisting of the mind of the individual I am dealing with that has no qualms of misleading, lying, or anything else they can do to steal money from me.

"Doing what you ought to do" now has a new meaning, doing as little as you can get by with while taking as much as you can from someone else. That ought to be a right, right?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be respectful of women (if the woman will allow it).

This has been my problem... can't tell you how many women are so adamantly opposed to me trying to be gentlemanly. I say "Yes, ma'am," open doors, try to pick up a check, do nice things, buy shiny or nice-smelling gifts, etc. Rebuffed is a term I have become intimately familiar with. Maybe it's just me that's off-putting. :(

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To work to provide for himself and his family.

To fight, if the need arises. (The goal is always to win, even when it looks impossible)

To be respectful of others (including women).

Love his country.

Stand up for what he believes in.

{Be loyal to his friends and family (unless they betray him).

Stand up for the underdog (if the underdog is right).}These two are included in being respectful of others and fighting when necessary.

What say you OSA?

Latest posts

Top Bottom