A trip to my woods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got out of town for a bit and went over to Hughes County where I bought 20 acres to play around on. I have many plans for the area but they all seem to happen so slowly. :coffee2: Too much playing and not enough working when I am out there I suppose. DOH! :hithead: Had a great day today though.

I cruised out late this am.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_117_1.jpg

I need to do more road clearing and maintenance but was able to get in just fine.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_146_1.jpg

I stumbled upon a good sign of what might be some rubbing! (Mind you I have no idea what that really means but I read somewhere that this is what it might look like)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_127.jpg

More rubbing? Uh... No. Maybe woodpecker. This was 12 feet up.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_129.jpg

Then I came across what I feel was the coolest thing ever. My first deer antler! :mosh: I have never found one before and as such I was beside myself. Awesome! Also, between this and all the footprints around the creek ther's deers in them thar hills!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_140.jpg

Next I noticed something small in the brush up ahead. Another first for me! An Armadillo! You can barely make him out in mid frame there. I got to about 25 feet from him before he noticed me and ran off. Cool!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_143_1.jpg

I then mounted a game camera where I think some animals may pass by just to check things out.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_148_1.jpg

Lastly, time to blow off some steam. Had an old hard drive that I wanted to clean. :fullauto: Put the new Saiga to good use. Mmmm..... Nice.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_151.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_153.jpg

On the way back I stopped for gas. Next thing you know the loudest bang and grinding noise startles me. I look up to see this guys tire rolling past me at about 20mph. Uh.... There's your problem!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_156.jpg

Good day. Next comes the feeder and plots along with some road maintenance and clearing. (Need to rent some equipment I suppose on that one)

Someone has a camper in the area. I hope to add one as well someday. Or maybe a little structure. Camper would be quite easy though.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_126_1.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neat.

Those rubs look like porkypine chewings to me.

Or a beaver chewing, one or the other.., definitely not a rub. Better get that under control with some traps..!

The second one looks like it might have been a lightning strike that blew bark off the side of the tree.

Nice place for 20 acres... Hope you have good luck with it.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hughes county has lots of nice places and it looks like you have one of them. Nice pictures. I love the oak leaves. If there are acorns then the deer will come. Congrats on a nice place.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Porcupine eh? On man, never thought of that. I saw evidence of a beaver. Looked to be fairly freshly chewed down trees. Hmmm... Might have to try the trap. I am not a fan of beavers. One attacked us in a canoe once. It was huge. Chewed a hole in the front of the canoe and it sunk. Scared the crud out of me. Scariest was swimming to shore not knowing where that thing was. He eventually succumbed to led poisoning by means of a Glock 17. :)

Odd about the lightning as well. Had no idea that could happen. I noticed another tree with what I assume were holes from a woodpecker. Like bulletholes in it. Maybe 1/2 inch deep in several spots. Was odd. Should have taken a shot of it.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd about the lightning as well. Had no idea that could happen. I noticed another tree with what I assume were holes from a woodpecker. Like bulletholes in it. Maybe 1/2 inch deep in several spots. Was odd. Should have taken a shot of it.

Not 100% sure it's lightning, but when it hits trees, sometimes it blows chunks of bark off in that general pattern like in this pic I googled..

awww.zunispirits.com_blogimages_dirtroadheaven_lightningpine2a.jpg

Deer rubs will look like this. You shouldn't see any bite or chew marks, and you will probably see small pieces of scraped wood laying at the base of the tree, like this.

[Broken External Image]

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or a beaver chewing, one or the other.., definitely not a rub. Better get that under control with some traps..!

The second one looks like it might have been a lightning strike that blew bark off the side of the tree.

Nice place for 20 acres... Hope you have good luck with it.

I would say a porcupine. 12ft off the ground, I don't think beavers will climb that high. But, what do I know!

Latest posts

Top Bottom