Academy has a 9mm CZ clone for $299

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doorgunner,

Can you give me an overview of what the magazine says? Do they have a ft-lbs value for recoil? I'm wondering how it compares to the CZ equivalent.
BTW, you asked if they are in stores -- I saw one about a week ago in the Edmond Academy (Broadway between 33rd and 15th). That, however, was before the sale and the price at the time was $349.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my experiance has been positive with the PT92/99 pistols. They are not as finely finished as a beretta, but were reliable as a gun should be. I have owned 2 x pt92's and a 99, all were utterly reliable. If I remember right the safety is on the slide on the beretta and the frame on the taurus. Doubt most people would experiance a difference in material, but finish of the material, without a doubt. I don't think they compare to many other +$400 guns, but aren't priced that way either.

After all that, The beretta is a freaking work of art, and cannot be compared to a taurus.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
on the note of the turk pistol. I personally wouldn't do it. I guess $300 doesn't go as far as it used to, but I would rather have a known quality brand pistol used (for the same or similar money)than a new retail priced gun that won't have the resell value if needed.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Egriton,
As far as recoil impulse, it really didn't say. But it weighs 1.95lbs, and a glock 19 weighs in at 1.8. So to my mind, if you have ever fired a polymer 9mm ( glock,m&p,xd etc...) and were comfortable with the recoil impulse of those firearms, I'm sure you would find the c-100 more than except able. Also, the mags are MECGAR, which are very well made, plentiful, and not overly expensive. The accuracy that the author was getting was around 2.00 @ 15 yards with his best being 1.15 using blazer 115 grain fmj. I took the liberty of cruising the CZ forum for you ( if anybody would know about or be critical of this pistol, it would be them) they all had great things to say about it. I was really thinking of getting a CZ p-07 duty, but now I'm really considering this one ( at $140 less). But I also don't get caught up on names. You will find that EVERY company will have a lemon slip through every now and then, no matter what company/country manufactures it. When ever you spend money, whether on gum, a car, a house, or a gun, you take a chance. At $299, I think if your of a mind to try it, you haven't got much to lose. I say go for it.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the recoil will be on par with the CZ 75 compact: 4.21 ft-lbs (per Genitron), maybe even a tad less, given that it is slightly heavier.
I hate the fact that Academy has trigger locks -- it is like shopping for a new car and not even being able to sit inside (never mind a test drive) before buying.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my experiance has been positive with the PT92/99 pistols. They are not as finely finished as a beretta, but were reliable as a gun should be. I have owned 2 x pt92's and a 99, all were utterly reliable. If I remember right the safety is on the slide on the beretta and the frame on the taurus. Doubt most people would experiance a difference in material, but finish of the material, without a doubt. I don't think they compare to many other +$400 guns, but aren't priced that way either.

After all that, The beretta is a freaking work of art, and cannot be compared to a taurus.

Couldn't have said it better.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As it so happens, I just picked up the new issue of combat handguns, and they did a review of this exact pistol. The review made me think that this pistol is a heck of a deal at $300. Has anyone actually seen these in stores?

I have not seen the pistol but read the review also. I too was convenced that the Canik55 would be a good pistol for the money. I do agree with the opinion that Taurus has "look alike" pistols too...

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the gun rags measuring recoil impulse in their reviews now? Man, it's been a long time since I bought one, I guess. That's cool, although I'd have no basis with which to compare.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost bought one... went to Academy with the intent to purchase, but after handling it, saw why it was so cheap.
Since I have a genuine CZ (SP-01), it is hard to step down to a copy. In this case, I found the trigger to lack crispness and felt very tinny... as if thin and cheap materials went into the system. The grip as well is lower quality -- rather than the excellent rubberized CZ material, it was a cheap plastic. That wasn't the deal breaker, since I could change it out. But the trigger had a terrible feel.

Note, though, that Academy has a few Taurus pistols on sale right now, their Beretta 92 copy and the Millenium if I recall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom