Trashed my new CZ for Y'all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A week or two ago, I had let everyone here know that I had recently purchased a new CZ P-07 duty pistol with the longer 4.3 inch barrel in 9mm. In case you missed it or don't know what one is, here is a picture:

View attachment 36934

I needed a holster, so I went to the FOBUS website and ordered one of their Roto paddle holsters, but while I was waiting, I was able to use my FOBUS holster that I had left over from my XD 9. It worked very well, just a little sloppy play in it. The gun carried very well and was quit unobtrusive.

Last weekend, a buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to go hog hunting with him and his buddies, and of course my response was hell yes. But it also occurred to me that this was a chance to put the CZ through its paces. I have never reviewed a firearm, and as this is a first, please bear with me.

When I first researched the CZ P-07, there was scant information, and only 3 or four reviews. And the more I read gun magazines ( who do almost all the reviews you find) the more I realize they haven't met a gun they didn't like, so their reviews are almost just paid paper infomercials. On the same note, there are battalions of internet warriors who will spout off with all kinds of "helpful" info about what kind of firearm is good or bad but have never put said firearm through anything worse than an extremely humid day. This is neither kind of review.

The ammo I chose to use on the CZ was 200 rounds of Winchester white box (115 gr), and 400 rounds of Tula steel cased 115 grain. I had loaded a mag with horn adapt critical defense for carry, but hadn't pulled the trigger on the gun yet. The reason I choose so much Tula is twofold. 1) it is the nastiest, dirtiest ammo I can think of, and if anything will gum up a pistol, this will. 2) at $10.97 a box for 50, it's also the cheapest ammo you can find, and as such is probably what is more likely to be fired out of this gun. The gun was very lightly lubed, and the torture began.

4 different men and one 11 year old boy spent all afternoon loading mags and pulling the trigger on the CZ. I had forgotten to bring my mag loader, and my fingers still hurt from loading. The mags/mag springs were as solid as any I have ever dealt with. Not a single problem. All the guys could say was how great this pistol was. These are not guys who can tell you the different variants that H&K offers. They very rarely shoot pistols, and they raved about how the P-07 made them look like seasoned dead eyes. As far as the Omega trigger system, I'm not an aficionado by any means. But the best way I can describe it is light and crisp. I was accidentally doing double taps. It was almost as if the pistol read my mind and knew when to fire. I'm no expert pistol shot, but I found accuracy to be pretty good. The target was set at 20 yards. ( I shot what was left of a mag with eight rounds in it).

image.jpg

Now the dirty part, and I do mean dirty. I wanted to know when this thing would fail. Every pistol has a stopping point. Remember, there was very little lube on this pistol. The area we were at was so nasty and sandy, it was more like Iraq than Oklahoma ( I know of which I speak, having been there with the army). We started with the Winchester, and as one would expect, not a single problem. So, we moved on to the Tula ammo. After 100 rounds, nothing. 200 more rounds, and despite some limp wrist ing from the 11 year old and the pistol now being EXTREMELY nasty, still not one single hiccup. With only 100 rounds of Tula left, it was time to get down to business. The pistol was thrown ( yes, you read that right) about 20 yards away into the sand berm, and each of the 2 loaded mags went after. I almost cried. I would never, ever, had let my weapon get like this, especially when in Iraq. But I wanted to know. I picked the pistol up, shook it out, retrieved a mag, and released the slide. It stopped. After multiple attempts, it would not chamber a round or go into battery. The CZ had enough and refused to function. But how dirty and nasty was the pistol?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had to physically scrape the carbon off of the feed ramp. Just handling the pistol was like rubbing your hands with charcoal. Ad lack of lube and being drowned in sand, it's no wonder that it just stopped. With that said, I would NEVER ALLOW A FIREARM OF MINE TO BECOME ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THE CONDITION I ENFORCED on the P-07. But I, along with anyone reading this, deserved to see an honest assessment of this pistol.

As a final opinion, I was overwhelmingly pleased with this pistol. It is light, exceptionally soft recoiling, and it pointed instinctually. I had to work at making it stop before it actually did. I have the utmost confidence in this pistol, and it will continue to be my and my families protector. I doubt any of us would ever allow this kind of neglect and abuse to befall our firearms. And if we did, we would have only ourselves, not the firearm, to blame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom