Accuracy of a Red Dot on an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the different between 2MOA and 4MOA at 100 yard shooting? I have an Aimpoint CompML3 2MOA mounted on my wife's AR and Eotech 1/65 MOA on mine. I can't really tell the different when I shoot.

The difference is the 2MOA dot is 2" in diameter at 100 yards the 4MOA dot is 4" in diameter at 100 yards. A 1MOA dot would be 1" at 100 yards.

An MOA is roughly 1" at 100 yards so a 2 MOA dot is 2" in diameter at 100 yards. At 200 yards the same 2 MOA dot is now 4" in diameter.

This is a very basic overview of MOA.

You should join us at the Appleseed shoot and you'll learn all about MOA and rifle shooting in general.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently running Eotechs on my rifles and at 30 yards standing (H&H) 2"-3" groups are no problem. These groups can be tightened up a bit with any sort of rest. The .223 will hit 200 meter steel with ease.

The Eotechs are easily more accurate than I am. lol... These results are with AR's in .223, 9mm, and .22lr...

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend has a Tasco red dot mounted on his TC Contender in .357 Herrett. It's amazingly accurate out to 100 yards. And recoil doesn't seem to bother it because that thing does recoil!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The optic is a low end BSA model and I've got it locked down tight.

This is the model I have...
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=84

I knew in this price range I wasn't going to get sniper precision but I expected to be able to put a couple in the bulls eye at 30 yards.

We were just shooting it with a bi-bod for stability, I may try bags next time and see how much was just us not holding the rifle steady.

And I may try to make it to Appleseed because aside from the short description in this thread, I don't know anything about MOA.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I may try to make it to Appleseed because aside from the short description in this thread, I don't know anything about MOA.

I know i'm selling Appleseed hard but if you want to learn solid rifle marksmanship I think it is the best thing you can do. Everything will be explained and demonstrated and then instructors will work with you for two days to improve your shooting. For $70 it is the absolute best training value going.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know i'm selling Appleseed hard but if you want to learn solid rifle marksmanship I think it is the best thing you can do. Everything will be explained and demonstrated and then instructors will work with you for two days to improve your shooting. For $70 it is the absolute best training value going.

I would love to sign up for appleseed but probably next year. i just went through 2 surgeries on my hand and wrist so no can do for this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom