Acquired Crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know, that ammo will keep just about anywhere and doesn’t require refrigeration. Heck, the mil just stores it in big warehouses or boxes, completely non-climate controlled.
Heck, I may just put some in my garage.
You obviously don’t understand how much ammo I have on hand. If selling that ammo gets me in a bind at some point, the “S” has really hit the fan, and I will have had to do ALOT of shooting. My carry guns are chambered in 38spl and 45acp, and I can’t remember the last time I shot a 9mm.
Heck, I’ve still got over 4000 rounds of 40s&w and don’t even own a gun in that caliber, and for whatever reason, it’s hard to sell 40 cal ammo.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a hoarder, but a collector. Wife is a throw it out person but I'm of the mind that one of these days, I'll make something out of this and store it away.
As was earlier stated, when something gets thrown away, I'll need it a week later and have to go buy it.
I love to machine, weld and fabricate stuff. Built several trailers, deer tower blinds, and remanufactured old beat up farm implements to be resold.
As I age, don't do so much of the implement repair anymore. Two more disks to rebuild and I'll be out of the business.
With all that fab work I acquired a pretty big stash of used pipe, rod, plate steel and so on. Called a scrapper the other day to come take a look at it and offer a price. He said $100, and I said it's all yours, but you have to remove everything. No picking and choosing. It's gone.
I'm amazed at what people will take for free. Dug up a half dozen half rotten railroad ties where our garden used to be the other day and put them down on the country road where we live with a sign that said, free to a good home, and they were gone in an hour.
Put old metal desks, and just junk there with the sign and its gone.
More junk to go down there tomorrow.
I have two sons from a previous marriage. Wife and I talked and then got our Wills written a couple months ago. If I go before her, all of my machine tools, guns, safes, sporting goods that are in the two shop buildings are to be sold at auction and the money evenly distributed to the sons. She gets everything else.
When my parents passed away, we had an auction for all of what her and dad accumulated over the years. The auctioneer came out with his hands and they emptied the house and had it on tables in the yard. Everything in that house sold to someone else. They would put a valuable item in a box of junk. Whoever wanted that valuable item had to buy the junk and haul it off as well.
At the end of the auction, the house was cleaned out, and all we had to do was sell the house.
I highly recommend doing this if one is wanting to get rid of clutter. We didn't have to lift a finger, just pay the commission and pocket the profit.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents before they passed away disposed of most everything except the bare necessities. I remodeled their house and they sold that and moved into a efficiency apartment. They had their will made, a trust setup, their medical directives in place and funeral arrangements made and paid for. Settling their estate was super easy.
My grandfather did this for them, so his passing was straight forward as far as assets.

My wife and I are working towards that end. I keep working at disposing of items we don't need, want or have not used for many years.

I find it harder to dispose of items than it is to accumulate. It is always tempting to accumulate more. Sometimes the hardest part of getting rid of stuff is making the decision of what to dispose of.

I am not much of a hoarder; my wife on the other hand has a hard time of letting go of stuff that has sentimental value for her. I on the other hand don't attach much sentimental value to much of anything. I only keep what I find practical and useful. Even the guns I have don't hold any sentimental value for me and in time I will decide to dispose of those I don't shoot or I have duplicates in the same caliber.

I plan on making everything as easy as possible for our children in regards to our estate when we pass. Ain't taking nothin' with you but your soul.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I go through our house a time or two a year. We throw out, donate or organize everything. We are doing that right now, as we did some Saturday and some yesterday. However, we have glossed over the garage and attic space the pst few years. Not doing that this year.
Also, the topic of my firearm collection “hoarding” came to light. I’ve been pressed to “downsize” my hobby. I don’t want to do that as I enjoy each and every one of my babies. But, the time may be coming, where I sell off the lower end stuff and upgrade. In fact, I’ve already started with a hunting shotgun and 6.5CM rifle. But, then I devise ways to keep my older ones, you know, just in case. The wife and I are at an impasse. I need another safe. The wife has put her foot down, but then this weekend, I got the “fine, so do what you’re going to do”. You older/more experienced guys: Any ideas if I should proceed? I think that this may be a tarp!?
Any time a woman starts a sentence with "Fine", you're in deep doo doo.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m honestly trying to go through some stuff and downsize, but dang, it’s hard.
As I posted in another thread, I had to relocate some ammo today from my Mother’s place to mine, and I didn’t have any idea where I was going to put it. I ended up listing it on a local gun classifieds and sold 5000 rounds of 9mm and 2000 rounds of 223 within 30 minutes of placing the ad. I’ve still got more listed, but I haven’t had any more interest yet.
Selling off ammo hurts my heart, and my wife was shocked to find out I actually did it.

When we were preparing to downsize for RV living, I went out into the garage and started looking at stuff. At the time, we had a 3 car garage but only room for one to fit in it, what with the other two bays having "stuff" in it. I was surprised as I looked at tools and such and thought, "I haven't touched that thing in two or three years." Realizing that I wasn't using the stuff made it easier to decide to get rid of it all.

On another topic, I'd almost be interested in .40 caliber ammo, but living in an RV doesn't give me much room for storage of such stuff. In our cases, if we buy something new, we will on a lot of occasions get rid of something else to compensate for the space.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I participate.. I've now lived in my present location for 40 years. Our house, 2 unused bedrooms, garage, barn, and 5 acres have "stuff" in every nook and cranny. Thought we could have a garage sale and move some out but our location in the middle of 5 acres, off the main road is not great for that......plus having all those 'strangers' on the premises is not exciting either. So, I now look at it as barter inventory.

Not much gives me more pleasure than digging thru my stuff and fixing something without having to go to town for parts..

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My super power is keeping something for years just in case, and then throwing it away two weeks before I need it.
Or you can’t find it when you need it knowing it’s right here somewhere, then buying what you need and then finding it 2 weeks later when you don’t need it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom