Advice on a bow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i'm thinking about getting back into bow hunting. now that I'm in a manusl wheelchair I'm able to use my shoulders better and I have more strength in them. However I used a 45lb. recurve when many of my friends were using compounds. I want a compound with 30in. draw and 45 to 50 lbs. pull before breakover. So what do you'all suggest?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Mission Craze is what some kids are starting out with, because of it's great versatility in draw weight and draw length, it's a good seller with the adults as well. That versatiltiy may benefit you in getting a comfortable draw while sitting. They're pretty short as well. Just a lot of options out there. Let off is 80% too.

IBO Rate Up to 306 fps
Physical Weight 3.6 lbs.
Axle to Axle 28"
Brace Height 7.5"
Let-off 80%
Riser Extruded
Draw Weight 15 - 70 lbs
Finish (Riser/Limbs) Lost Camo AT
Draw Length 19 - 30"
Silencers D-Amplifiers™
Suppressors N/A
Cam(s) N/A
Cable Guard Carbon Rod
Bowstrings Zebra® Hybrid
String Length 55 3/4"
Grip Composite
Cable Length 30 7/8"
MSRP $299.00 (Bow Only)
http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/

jayhawkclint

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a lot of bows. We own some Mathews, Mission, Martin, and PSE. What you're going to want for a wheelchair above all else is smooth draw and a short axle-to-axle. Check out the Mathews Z7 series. The Craze is highly adjustable, but you can do much better in a hunting bow. My son shoots a Craze, and it is great for him because the bow is growing with him, but the rock-solid wall and silky-smooth draw just aren't there.

Try out a 50# Z7, ZXT, or Z7 Mag, and you will be able to adjust it from 40-50#.

Now, I will also tell you about a bow that a lot of people overlook, and many more look at but pass over. It is called the Mathews Jewel. Never mind that it is marketed for women. Seriously, pull the damn label off it if it bothers you. In the 50# range, it is the fastest, most accurate, shortest ATA, smoothest drawing hunting bow out there. I would give it a serious consideration.

MSFoster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all comes down do how much money you want to spend and which bow feels most comfortable to you. The craze is a good starter bow like many have said. The Matthews are nice but pricey. Personally I shoot a 60lb bowtech assassin I love the bow have ever since I first shot it I looked at a lot of bows before I bought it but for the money I don't think anything beats it, IMHO, the assassin has a short ata smooth draw comes in 50,60, and 70lbs and fully rigged for less than you can buy a bare Matthews or Hoyt. You really just need to go look at and shoot some bows I don't know any shops down there but here in Tulsa area I highly recommend JP Archery in sapulpa they're great guys and carry Matthews, Mission, and bowtech. Another brand I'd look at if you want to stay on a budget would be Martin I've personally never messed with one but heard nothing but good things about them. Hope this helped.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, I will also tell you about a bow that a lot of people overlook, and many more look at but pass over. It is called the Mathews Jewel. Never mind that it is marketed for women. Seriously, pull the damn label off it if it bothers you. In the 50# range, it is the fastest, most accurate, shortest ATA, smoothest drawing hunting bow out there. I would give it a serious consideration.

Actually that not entirely true...
The Passion is as fast or faster as the Jewel and shoots just as well, my wife shoots both...
However the Jewel is a great bow but its not just labels, the bow inst just marketed towards women. It's pink/teal, has flowers on it and a "jewel" on the riser. Not really easily passed off as a guys bow. It's a Z7 Extreme with the Z7 mag cam and shorter brace height. But it is an amazing bow, my chick's runs the chron at 245fps @ 45lb/24" !!!!
Now on this topic... Being in a chair, the shorter A to A will be nice. If you want to invest some $ in a great bow then I'd look at bows like the Z7extreme, it's 28" (just like the Jewel) plus has and extra inch of BH and just as fast. If you don't want to drop $1000+ on a bare bow then don't over look a used DXT, they can be had for around $500 fully set up.
For a little longer A to A bow that will get some great speeds with lower weight, finding a 40-50lb Hoyt AlphaBurner would be a great choice. I run one of mine at 59lb/28", on the chron 285fps with a 450 gr arrow. You could probably get close to those same speeds set 40-50 with a lighter (350ish gr) arrow.
There are a ton of great bows on the market, typically id say just go out and shoot them all then decide for yourself. BUT being your looking for such light weight in a longer draw you probably won't find many if any just sitting on the shelf at a pro shop.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto with going out and trying some out. Everybody's different. Nowadays there are a lot of good bows out there but you have to find what fits you best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom