Age of a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How can one tell the exact age of a gun nowadays?
Also what does pinned and recessed mean?
Thanks and best regards.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy a SCSW (Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson) and check it's serial number. It will tell you the approximate date of manufacture. I usually just ask some of the guys here. Several have an SCSW and will gladly look it up for you.

Pinned and recessed is a term for some early rimfire and magnum revolvers made up until the late 70's/early 80's. ALL Smith & Wesson revolvers of that era had pinned barrels - a pin going thru the frame just above and forward of the forcing cone, used to stabilize the barrel. But only the Magnums and rimfires had recessed cylinders - countersunk charge holes to encase the case heads of the cartridges. A very desireable feature to most collectors and shooters alike.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
To tell the exact age of a revolver (or any gun for that matter) you'd have to check the serial number for date of manufacture. However, depending on model and features, some S&W experts may well be able to narrow it down to a specific decade or even a few years.

The "pinned and recessed" is best explained with pictures. The pinned refers to the barrel being pinned, and you can see the pin right on the frame, between the barrel and the cylinder, about a quarter inch below the top of the frame. The recessed refers to the face of the cylinder. If it is recessed, the bottom of the cartridge will be nearly flush with the outside edge of the cylinder, and you will barely be able to tell if it is loaded or not. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures showing it.

daggone it GED, you beat me to it!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here, this should explain it fairly well.
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Information_pix793853828.jpg

Same gun, with cylinder closed. You can see how tight the gap is between the rear of the cylinder and the frame.
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Information_pix793854265.jpg

Here's a gun that is neither recessed nor pinned. If the ad does not say if it is PnR or not, then you can look at a side shot, and usually tell very quickly.
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Information_pix522030921.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Transitional? Never heard the term. Is that in reference to the pinning/recessing?

For the most part, then its also to do with differing dash series being run concurrent i.e. 10-5, 10-6, 10-7, and some of the changes being done and some not, then you get into guns with serial numbers showing up later than when they were supposed to be produced, with differing barrels, grips, sights, you name it S&W did it. The SWSC isn't the end all to SW handguns, ton's of other research, letters of confirmation.

S&W handguns can give you a headache if your not careful. OH yeah, special runs, those are a nightmare in of itself. My two favorites are the 19P and the 2-1/2"bbl model 10, then there is the 520, and the 947.

Latest posts

Top Bottom