Age of a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys and oh, why would it matter or what is the function of a non P&R vs. a P&R? Function,looks,price? Thank you :soldiers:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Looks, the recessed cylinder hides the rims of the cartridges. There's not really a functional difference. In fact, as far as function, without the recessed cylinder it is easier to check and see if the gun is loaded.

Both the pinning and the recessing were for a reason, but neither are necessary. I don't know of any functional difference between pinned and non pinned guns. The pin is to prevent the barrel from backing out of its threads, but that has not been an issue even on non pinned barrels. The recessed cylinder was for magnum cartridges that supposedly were more likely to blow out just above the rim of the brass without it, but I've never heard of that happening with non recessed cylinders.

Both required more machine work, so they cost more to do, so as they are not necessary, they were removed from the production.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both the pinning and the recessing were for a reason, but neither are necessary. I don't know of any functional difference between pinned and non pinned guns. The pin is to prevent the barrel from backing out of its threads, but that has not been an issue even on non pinned barrels. The recessed cylinder was for magnum cartridges that supposedly were more likely to blow out just above the rim of the brass without it, but I've never heard of that happening with non recessed cylinders.

To bring this thread back up I will add my experience. The only revolver I have ever shot that had brass crack or blow out on the bottom of a case was a pinned and recessed 38 spl, I don't remember the number but I do remember wondering WTF would cause it. It was some load with DEWC's that I was handed to shoot the gun so I have no idea of times loaded or the actual load but it was an interesting experience anyways.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To bring this thread back up I will add my experience. The only revolver I have ever shot that had brass crack or blow out on the bottom of a case was a pinned and recessed 38 spl, I don't remember the number but I do remember wondering WTF would cause it. It was some load with DEWC's that I was handed to shoot the gun so I have no idea of times loaded or the actual load but it was an interesting experience anyways.

The gun you were firing was a .357mag revolver. No SW .38spl revolver's were ever recessed, except the N-frame 38/44 which was the precursor to the Registered .357magnum revolver, which would later become the model 27.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks, the recessed cylinder hides the rims of the cartridges. There's not really a functional difference. In fact, as far as function, without the recessed cylinder it is easier to check and see if the gun is loaded.

Both required more machine work, so they cost more to do, so as they are not necessary, they were removed from the production.

In the early years of the .357magnum cartridge baloonhead cases were still being used, so the chambers were recessed to preclude a case failing. The recessed chambers continued into the .44magnum and .41magnum even though by this time baloonhead casings were for the most part a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom