Aggressive panhandling on the rise in NW Oklahoma City neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it against the law for them to walk in the street to panhandle?

I see that going on a lot, but from how I understand it a LEO would have to witness it to write a ticket.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You get a license for panhandling from the city..15 bucks..or something like that.

My son stopped at mustang rd and almost reno ave.. guy was there panhandling..
My son asked if he wanted to go for a ride to go apply for a job.. as he was on his way to apply for a job.
The guy stated he did not want to work for anyone....He is a younger feller and his legs are bent and he walks funny.

Guess he wants free money instead of working..
I have asked panhandlers if they would help me during clean up...NOPE!!

Free money is better..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed.... I stayed in that area last weekend and I was amazed at how much panhandling was going on compared to what I was used to seeing in Tulsa. DANG. Multiples working each street corner in a lot of cases, it seemed.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's not just the homeless that have become more "aggressive" when it comes to begging for my money. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't see a group, in some uniform or other, thrusting a stanky old boot in my car window.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The idea of the panhandler booklet was interesting. Something tells me that if you bought one of those and tried to hand them out to panhandlers they would either toss them on the ground or not accept them at all (probably coupled with some curing in your direction)

Most people realize that these folks are there because they choose to be there. Most of these are able-bodied people that found an easy way to make a few bucks, all they had to do was sell their soul and learn to ignore their pride. What fantastic lessons to learn. "If I stand around and look pitiful, people will give me money"

It's like feed stray cats. the more you feed, the more come around. Every time I see someone roll down their window and give money to these people, I shake my head. What a waste.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed.... I stayed in that area last weekend and I was amazed at how much panhandling was going on compared to what I was used to seeing in Tulsa. DANG. Multiples working each street corner in a lot of cases, it seemed.

As God is my witness, they work in shifts ... GC and I saw the most interesting "conversation" going on one afternoon between the long-time "owner" of that particular corner and some "noob" trying to horn in on "his" corner ... :shocked: :rollingla Seems even panhandlers gotta "work it" sometimes ... :D BTW, the long-time panhandler?? Yeah, he lives in a neighborhood (fairly nice neighborhood, actually) within walking distance of his "work" ...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best
Movie
Evar

[video=youtube_share;JmtLOQKeDs8]http://youtu.be/JmtLOQKeDs8[/video]

EX-LEPER: Alms for an ex-leper. Bloody donkey owners. All the same, aren't they? Never have any change. Oh, here's a touch. Spare a talent for an old ex-leper.
MANDY: Buzz off!
EX-LEPER: Spare a talent for an old ex-leper.
MANDY: A talent? That's more than he earns in a month.
EX-LEPER: Half a talent, then.
MANDY: No, go away!
EX-LEPER: Come on, Big Nose. Let's haggle.
BRIAN: What?
EX-LEPER: All right. Cut the haggling. Say you open at one shekel. I start at two thousand. We close about eighteen hundred.
BRIAN: No.
EX-LEPER: Seventeen-fifty?
MANDY: Go away!
EX-LEPER: Seventeen-forty.
MANDY: Look. Will you leave him alone?
EX-LEPER: All right. Two shekels. Just two. Isn't this fun, eh?
MANDY: Look. He's not giving you any money, so piss off!
EX-LEPER: All right, sir. My final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper.
BRIAN: Did you say... 'ex-leper'?
EX-LEPER: That's right, sir. Sixteen years behind the veil, and proud of it, sir.
BRIAN: Well, what happened?
EX-LEPER: I was cured, sir.
BRIAN: Cured?
EX-LEPER: Yes, sir, a bloody miracle, sir. God bless you.
BRIAN: Who cured you?
EX-LEPER: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business. All of a sudden, up he comes. Cures me. One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by your leave. 'You're cured mate.' Bloody do-gooder.

BRIAN: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
EX-LEPER: Ah, yeah. I could do that, sir. Yeah. Yeah, I could do that, I suppose. What I was thinking was, I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the arse, to be blunt. Excuse my French, sir, but, uh--
MANDY: Brian! Come and clean your room out.
BRIAN: There you are.
EX-LEPER: Thank you, sir. Thanks-- Half a denari for me bloody life story?
BRIAN: There's no pleasing some people.
EX-LEPER: That's just what Jesus said, sir.

Latest posts

Top Bottom