Air Travel w/handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took a recent trip to Colorado for vacation. Decided to fly and my wife suggested taking a pistol. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but I read all the rules I could find and thought why not? Check in was easy, told them I wanted to declare a firearm. The lady smiled and asked if it was unloaded and if it was in a hard case that was locked. Signed a form and placed the form on top of the pistol case and that was it. Basically the same process in Denver except they took an x-ray of the suitcase. What a country.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, when I did it a couple of yrs ago, I was surprised at how easy it was... I took a work trip to N. Dakota, and wanted to take my J-frame with me.. did exactly what you did without any problems.

*Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Forum Runner*

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fly with a pistol a lot and have noticed that My bags come out faster AND I am allowed to lock the suitcase in addition to the hardcase. In my experience it's easier and faster to travel with a firearm than without.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I fly with a pistol a lot and have noticed that My bags come out faster AND I am allowed to lock the suitcase in addition to the hardcase. In my experience it's easier and faster to travel with a firearm than without.

Not really,you can't check your bags "at the curb."

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i had no idea that you could do even this. shows how much i know, i thought you had to ship the things ahead of time if you wanted them on your trips. thanks, i will read the rules and consider it next time i gotta fly somewhere in states.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a very simple process indeed. I can only imagine flying armed. Air Marshals probably don't get their bags checked, x-rayed and probably seat first. :P

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last flight I was on, coming back from San Diego, I sat next to a guy who was armed. He had a pistol on his right hip, concealed. He was military, in uniform, and was on his way back from transporting a prisoner. He told me there were actually 3 armed people on our particular flight. Made me feel pretty safe.

matwor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last flight I was on, coming back from San Diego, I sat next to a guy who was armed. He had a pistol on his right hip, concealed. He was military, in uniform, and was on his way back from transporting a prisoner. He told me there were actually 3 armed people on our particular flight. Made me feel pretty safe.

I guess he wasn't concealed very well huh?:wink2:

I've flown twice with a handgun. First time I mistakenly put the card they give you in the box with the pistol, no one even noticed. The baggage check noticed the second time and corrected me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom