AirBnb anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're looking at taking a trip to CO this summer, and are considering using AirBnb for the first time, and I was wondering who here may have had experience with that service, whether good or bad?? Wanting to get up around Durango/Pagosa Springs area probably, do some fishing and exploring. I've driven through Durango while driving x-country 18 wheeler years ago, not much sightseeing stoppage for sure. Also, anything pro's or con's on that state/area anyone knows of, i.e.weird gun laws, fishing regs, etc. TIA!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, my favorite area. My grandparents retired to the Lake Vallecito valley in the 70's. Been going almost every year. It's about 25 miles NE of Durango. North of bayfield 12 miles so you're kind of in between durango and pagosa. Many options for activities. As far as the airbnb stuff. We've used them a few times. The price listed is what the owner wants per night but it doesn't show the bnb fees. We used one in Fayetteville a few weeks ago for a multi family function. It was 625 per night for 2 nights and the additional fees and taxes were in the 300 range.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with them and with Homeaway as well........... Actually, on a Homeaway resesrvation, the owner absconded with our deposit of $1200 and cancelled the reservation on us.(Colorado actually for a Christmas rental for a week) ............ Homeaway security team investigated, and they stood behind it---- and reimbursed me for the lost deposit.......... Haven't had that happen on Airbnb, but I"ve had only good experiences with them.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've used it (and VRBO) quite a bit - never had any problems. And the Durango area is beautiful. Rode the train, and we went for Spring Break and went tubing at Hesperus Ski Area. Great time.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We've used it (and VRBO) quite a bit - never had any problems. And the Durango area is beautiful. Rode the train, and we went for Spring Break and went tubing at Hesperus Ski Area. Great time.
I think Hesperus has some summer stuff too but not sure. Mesa verde is awesome. Do London House tour, it’s the best and biggest. Silverton, purgatory,train etc. Oh yeah, have a Locomotive Ale from Durango Brewing(you’ll thank me later). If you do/don’t stay up at the lake, go rent a pontoon for a day of trout fishing and have lunch at the Vallecito Market. It’s a hole in the wall with bad lighting but killer food. Hike Lake Eileen trail, it’s a good beginner hike for us flatlanders. I could go on and on...

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably already booked up, but at Sportsman's Campground northwest of Pagosa Springs, they have a few cabins. North of Sportsman's is William's Creek Reservoir.

South of Sportsman's is a crossing of the Piedra River where one can park and walk in about a half mile to 3/4 of a mile. Don't know how good any of the fishing is, but we certainly saw a fisherman working the river when we hiked the trail up by him.

We stayed in Sportsman's with our 26 foot fifth wheel in 2009 and did day trips out of there to Mesa Verde, Durango to ride the train, and generally taking pictures and looking for waterfalls.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from everyone so far! Made a run to Elk City today, and stopped by Walls on a whim, they ended up having a dozen+ pairs of waders! Bought a pair for my wife and myself, got them for 40% of "normal price"...feeling like its a good omen :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom