AirBnb anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, my favorite area. My grandparents retired to the Lake Vallecito valley in the 70's. Been going almost every year. It's about 25 miles NE of Durango. North of bayfield 12 miles so you're kind of in between durango and pagosa. Many options for activities. As far as the airbnb stuff. We've used them a few times. The price listed is what the owner wants per night but it doesn't show the bnb fees. We used one in Fayetteville a few weeks ago for a multi family function. It was 625 per night for 2 nights and the additional fees and taxes were in the 300 range.
Back when I lived out in Canon City, CO we supplied gentle geldings to a dude ranch North of Bayfield I believe it was. Sold em bout 25 geldings a year. Wow it's amazing we survived Wolf Creek Pass so many trips over it in a plum worn out truck and a 30' trailer with 10 or 12 geldings stuffed in it. It was dang sure like Chris LeDoux sang, chugaluggin up one side n slidin down the other. The dude ranch was called Colorado Trails. If memory serves they had numerous outdoor activities in addition to horsebackin.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I lived out in Canon City, CO we supplied gentle geldings to a dude ranch North of Bayfield I believe it was. Sold em bout 25 geldings a year. Wow it's amazing we survived Wolf Creek Pass so many trips over it in a plum worn out truck and a 30' trailer with 10 or 12 geldings stuffed in it. It was dang sure like Chris LeDoux sang, chugaluggin up one side n slidin down the other. The dude ranch was called Colorado Trails. If memory serves they had numerous outdoor activities in addition to horsebackin.

I may have to look into that. We lived up around Canon City for about 20 months after we retired. There is an RV Park off of Highway 115 between Canon City and Colorado Springs where we lived. I didn't know there were any horse ranches around Canon City.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used Airbnb and VRBO quite a bit. Good experiences with both. Lots of folks in my place of employment use Airbnb when they come to OKC for training too. Never heard a bad word. The only thing I would add is to make sure you are looking at the right type of listing on Airbnb and you get the "entire place" if you don't want to share space.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have to look into that. We lived up around Canon City for about 20 months after we retired. There is an RV Park off of Highway 115 between Canon City and Colorado Springs where we lived. I didn't know there were any horse ranches around Canon City.
I must've worded that poorly. I lived in Canon City but the dude ranch we stocked was north of Bayfield.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Call me what you will, but that's truthfully been one of my holdbacks on visiting that state so far...
Yeah, you might get panhandled in Durango. Used to not be that way but it is what it is. Other than the train and lunch, there’s plenty do do without going in to town. Some good clean fun at the Bar D.
https://bardchuckwagon.com/

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must've worded that poorly. I lived in Canon City but the dude ranch we stocked was north of Bayfield.

I got that part. I just didn't remember seeing any signs of a place near Canon City where they "stocked" horses for other places. I presumed you worked on a ranch near Canon City with horses to supply to other places.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad and another fella would stock up on horses right before trail riding season came on. The other fella drove all over the surrounding states buying horses. Then he'd pull into our place, unload 10 or 15 and take off on another horse buying trip. Dad had my brother and I being test pilots riding all the horses to evaluate which way they would be sold. Some would qualify for the dude ranch, some could be sold in the paper to local folks to ride, some might be good enough to ranch on and some got on the next trailer headed for a sale barn. Dad had the Canon City rodeo grounds leased at the time so we had plenty of pens and facilities to sort em, ride em and brand em. I think Dad sold 100 geldings one month.
I got that part. I just didn't remember seeing any signs of a place near Canon City where they "stocked" horses for other places. I presumed you worked on a ranch near Canon City with horses to supply to other places.
We lived between Penrose and Canon at the time. We sold a couple horses to a fella that had a ranch out of Canon on Garden Park Rd and we ended up moving out to that place and working there.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally found a place to go on Airbnb, not exactly what we wanted but thats our fault for waiting too long to reserve...gonna be farther north than we expected, more in the Gunnison area, but supposed to be some "gold medal" trout water up there, so I'm happy...now to see if I can fool those Olympic fish ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom