AK Misbehaving – Question for you AK experts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Yugo Underfolder AK (Model M70AB2 built by Global Machine and Tool, LLC in Rhome, TX) with which I am having feeding/magazine issues.

The magazines are not securely held in the mag well by the mag release catch. The bolt will ride over the top of the cartridge until it jams about 2/3rds of the way up the case. It is definitely an issue with the mag release because if I pull back on the magazine while shooting it, the gun functions flawlessly. Plus, I can wiggle the magazine front to back when it is locked into the mag well and the tang on the magazine that the mag release catches travels about 1/8” between when it is fully seated and when it contacts the mag release. Doesn’t matter what magazine I use or what ammo.

My question is – Should I be able to buy and install a new mag release catch to fix this problem or is there something more fundamentally wrong with the whole mechanism?

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5179_5561072906_5f649df41e_b.jpg

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5292_5560497423_ce9e570ed9_b.jpg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Front to back is not good or right. If you bought the weapon new and this is the case with all of your mags you should send it back.

If thats not an option there are places that sell new catches. K-Var or Copes Distributing might have them.

The catch is meerly held in buy a rivet that is depressed and expanded outwards on both sides. You might be able to reuse yours if you are handy with a welder. Take it off and add a little to it. Some of those are milled and some are sheet metal. Once some material is added file till the mag just barley clicks in but is tight. There is not supose to be any front and back woble on its own with the spring tention.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find someone with a tig welder to run a bead on the top of it and then file to fit... that little spring for the mag catch is the biggest PITA ever.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Find someone with a tig welder to run a bead on the top of it and then file to fit... that little spring for the mag catch is the biggest PITA ever.

That is a good suggestion^. from the pics it does not look like your catch has been filed down, it looks similiar to mine.

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So assuming the catch is the correct dimension, then could the magazine safety lever stop be too thick? I can't see any other component that would be out of tolerance and allow that much slop in the magazine well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom