AK Misbehaving – Question for you AK experts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magwell tightness is set by a few things: relation of front trunnion to opening of magwell(forward or back set during riveting and can usually also be judged by top cover fit), selector stop plate(sometimes too thick or thin), mag catch, rear magwell cut/selector stop relation.

Since you said you can rock the mag backwards causing it to sit higher it could be a couple of things... the mag catch, the carrier rails, or the FCG pushing the carrier up on sloppy rails.

Remove the FCG, reassemble, try to feed it. Also, take a pic looking straight down into the magwell and another as close to parallel with the bottom of the receiver looking straight back towards the mag catch. If it's a Century build use your warranty. I'd help you in person but I don't have a TIG and if it's the mag catch that's like asking me to pull a tooth out. Measure the gap between the magwell and mag catch with calipers if you have them.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago Global/Arsenal out of TX had some rifles that were out of spec as to the trunnion position and mag catch which led to the problem you described. I would suggest talking to an AK builder and see what they think.

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Peanut looked at it for me - Thanks.

Looks like the mag release has been filed down or perhaps was just manufactured out of spec. Either way, I have a replacement on order. Thanks to everyone for the help.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey, just thinking about that mag catch. Just drill that thing off and i can have someone weld a bead across the top of it and the you can file it to fit. Then all you'll need is a rivet.
Or find someone with a tig that can get in there and weld on it while it is still on the gun!!??

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, just thinking about that mag catch. Just drill that thing off and i can have someone weld a bead across the top of it and the you can file it to fit. Then all you'll need is a rivet.
Or find someone with a tig that can get in there and weld on it while it is still on the gun!!??

I looked at that and decided that it would take an incredibly talented individual to run a TIG bead on that while installed on the gun. I can get a new mag catch and rivet for less than $10 shipped, so since I'll have to remove it anyway, I'll go that way and save the hassle.

Thanks, again, for looking at it.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can set the rivet with a couple of properly sized ball bearings and a bench vise, the spring itself I'll just say Google around and try to find pictures of tools people made for holding the spring in place. Use the old catch as a template of where to drill the holes in the new one. Have fun :wave:

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I installed a new mag release lever this evening and it drastically reduced the tilting of the magazines. I won't know for sure until I get a chance to shoot it, but I'm relatively sure it is fixed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom