All This Talk About Coyotes......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is making me want to go hunt them. I've shot a few in my time but these were mostly by chance. I've never went and directly targeted them. However with all th photos and talk about them I'm beginning to get the fever. Its something different from hog hunting which is what I mostly hunt. Anyway, I went out to an area today and took the video camera. I'd like to know what you guys think of it and the pros and cons of hunting this particular area. Nothing fancy or any flashy editing. I'm just scanning the terrain. Here's the link......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8RqdHKQuOg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The place looks fine. Stay out of that canyon a ways and call toward it when you go out there. Try to find a spot where they have to show themselves to see you.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it would be a good spot. Just remember that most of the time they will circle around to pick up your scent, so be careful that they don't come up behind you and then you miss them. Like the other guy said, don't get into the canyon. Also, I was watching a video and it seemed that coyotes like to be by abandoned roads and such, so you may look for that as well. Did you see and feces? Good luck. The guy that posted before me knows a lot about hunting coyotes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it would be a good spot. Just remember that most of the time they will circle around to pick up your scent, so be careful that they don't come up behind you and then you miss them. Like the other guy said, don't get into the canyon. Also, I was watching a video and it seemed that coyotes like to be by abandoned roads and such, so you may look for that as well. Did you see and feces? Good luck. The guy that posted before me knows a lot about hunting coyotes.

From what I've learned from the guys above, is that to really watch the wind.
Circling to get a scent is their normal tactic.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've learned from the guys above, is that to really watch the wind.
Circling to get a scent is their normal tactic.

I was thinking about setting up on one side of the canyon and baiting about 120-150 yards on the other side of the canyon thinking that if they circle around they may cut through the canyon and come out of it trying to get the scent. Its hard to see on that video but there was some spots that are pretty open where a good shot can be take. At the very end of the video there is some tracks where they have been going in and out of that canyon. My thinking may be flawed though (and probably is :)) about setting up on the other side of that canyon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about setting up on one side of the canyon and baiting about 120-150 yards on the other side of the canyon thinking that if they circle around they may cut through the canyon and come out of it trying to get the scent. Its hard to see on that video but there was some spots that are pretty open where a good shot can be take. At the very end of the video there is some tracks where they have been going in and out of that canyon. My thinking may be flawed though (and probably is :)) about setting up on the other side of that canyon.

I don't know about the baiting. My Uncle had a place in Osage county where a couple of cows died in a bottom. We went out several times in the morning and evening, and never saw anything other than possums.

I don't know what would be a good bait.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the baiting. My Uncle had a place in Osage county where a couple of cows died in a bottom. We went out several times in the morning and evening, and never saw anything other than possums.

I don't know what would be a good bait.

Well actually what I was referring to was tying some feathers to a stick so they would flail in the wind and some digital call to bring them to the site. Sorry for the confusion.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the 1:17 minute mark, there is a cliff/ledge in the background I see. If there isn't another draw between where you're filming and that, you might try sitting on it, with your call hanging up in a tree below you if you have a remote type. Get that high vantage point that way, might be able to see over some taller grass that you couldn't any other way, depending on the wind. Just my $.02.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the 1:17 minute mark, there is a cliff/ledge in the background I see. If there isn't another draw between where you're filming and that, you might try sitting on it, with your call hanging up in a tree below you if you have a remote type. Get that high vantage point that way, might be able to see over some taller grass that you couldn't any other way, depending on the wind. Just my $.02.

I noticed that spot too while I was out there videoing the area. It's definitely a higher vantage point than the area I was standing at. Theres not another draw for around another 1000 yards. Thanks for your $.02. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom