Alot-o-brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but it sounds like you're more interested in the final product, not the process of reloading. I would encourage you to just buy ammo from any number of sources. you won't save any money at all reloading this brass. Think about these facts:

1) You can't get accurate custom loads in one loading session for any rifle. You can identify it, maybe.
2) Once you identify it, you will want to reload more of those rounds. Which means more materials and access to a press.
3) you might find someone to help you load those first rounds, but repeat sessions probably won't happen. you need your own press.
4) reload to learn, to make accurate rounds. Not to save money. It will generally take hundreds if not thousands of rounds to break even
5) If you won't purchase at least ONE reloading manual and learn the basics by reading, no one will want to help you
6) this can't be spoon fed. you have to want to learn, you have to read. you have to do the research.
7) Sloppy reloads are just frustrating and useless. it takes time.

Save your money. get a manual. read. buy a used press and dies and materials. You will have better success asking someone to help you load on YOUR equipment, not theirs.

Shortcuts can be deadly. Thats why you're not getting much activity in this thread.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aviator41 is right, reloading isn't something you can half-ass. It is really easy to do a lot of damage if something isn't right.

To little powder and it will cause a squib and if you don't realize it and clear it you will blow up your barrel
To much powder and you can have a catastrophic failure and injure your self and people around you.

If you want to load accuracy I would suggest a single stage press and take your time and read and learn everything you can

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, lack of knowledge here has us a little concerned. are you wanting to reload this? depriming and cleaning brass is only the tiniest first part of a larger process. With prices coming down on 223/5.56, the craze to reload it is waning.

Swaging primer pockets is required for military brass. Military 5.56 primers are crimped in place. Since you have commercial brass, this step won't need to be done.

federal bulk ammo available at Wal-Mart has crimped primers.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but it sounds like you're more interested in the final product, not the process of reloading. I would encourage you to just buy ammo from any number of sources. you won't save any money at all reloading this brass. Think about these facts:

1) You can't get accurate custom loads in one loading session for any rifle. You can identify it, maybe.
2) Once you identify it, you will want to reload more of those rounds. Which means more materials and access to a press.
3) you might find someone to help you load those first rounds, but repeat sessions probably won't happen. you need your own press.
4) reload to learn, to make accurate rounds. Not to save money. It will generally take hundreds if not thousands of rounds to break even
5) If you won't purchase at least ONE reloading manual and learn the basics by reading, no one will want to help you
6) this can't be spoon fed. you have to want to learn, you have to read. you have to do the research.
7) Sloppy reloads are just frustrating and useless. it takes time.

Save your money. get a manual. read. buy a used press and dies and materials. You will have better success asking someone to help you load on YOUR equipment, not theirs.

Shortcuts can be deadly. Thats why you're not getting much activity in this thread.

+1....especially on number 7. When I first started I reloaded 1,000 green .223 rounds. I was super diligent on trim length and grains of powder, etc....little did I realize a $20 case gauge would have told me I failed to full length resize enough....yeah....still pulling those bullets when I get bored. Having all the right equipment and someone with institutional knowledge to show you the ropes goes a long way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom