American gun use is out of control. Shouldn't the world intervene?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't find it hard to believe that when people have guns available some people will commit crimes with them. More guns available = more potential for gun use during crime. What's is the big deal? That doesn't mean more people are committing crime or that having a gun is an inducement to commit crime - those are the unfounded lleaps of "logic" to which those who fear either guns or their neighbors jump.

I am much more concerned that talk of UN intervention is even considered a possibility nowadays. When I was younger, and just a few short years ago, our enemies hated us but they feared us, and our friends may have disagreed with us but they respected our power and our capacity for self-government. We now have the worst of both worlds - our enemies do not fear us and our friends do not respect us.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let the UN try and intervene. Gun crime in the US would reach an all time high and the "annual" rates would be skewed because of the years they were here. They'd have to start calculating using a weighted average for the stats to mean anything.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a well used G17 on the coffee table serving as a combination TV guide paperweight and HD unit. It hasnt killed anyone yet. I do duck tho when someone bumps the table...

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:fullauto: UnHelmet.jpg

Better get some practice in.

Image copied from freerepublic.com

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am much more concerned that talk of UN intervention is even considered a possibility nowadays.
This is just another flatulating butthead in love with the sound of his own voice, waving his fist it the air. His words are empty and impotent, so I wouldn't worry at all about them.

Let's say he could get someone to listen; what would happen? Nothing. The UN is a colossally dysfunctional waste of time and money that can't do anything useful when we're onboard with it; how could they possibly do anything to us?

Even if they could agree to do something, what could they actually do? Given that our military is the backbone of the UN's "military" capabilities, how, exactly, could the UN intervene? Send us "stop it, or I shall say 'stop it' again!" letters, like they do everywhere else? Send in relief supplies so the Little Sisters of the Poor can take them away from the guys with rifles and blue beanies, just like they did in Haiti?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is just another flatulating butthead in love with the sound of his own voice, waving his fist it the air. His words are empty and impotent, so I wouldn't worry at all about them.

Let's say he could get someone to listen; what would happen? Nothing. The UN is a colossally dysfunctional waste of time and money that can't do anything useful when we're onboard with it; how could they possibly do anything to us?

Even if they could agree to do something, what could they actually do? Given that our military is the backbone of the UN's "military" capabilities, how, exactly, could the UN intervene? Send us "stop it, or I shall say 'stop it' again!" letters, like they do everywhere else? Send in relief supplies so the Little Sisters of the Poor can take them away from the guys with rifles and blue beanies, just like they did in Haiti?

I wasn't very clear in my post, I am not concerned about the UN itself, I am concerned that our allies (and this boob isn't the first to talk this way recently) don't respect us anymore and our enemies are starting to write us off in many ways. For those alive, and beyond the age of reason, in the 1970s you may recall how back then too the US was considered passe and it was soon to be a Japanese Era (never happened) but the world did get more dangerous for a while. We don't have to be world police but we do need to be both respected and feared (as appropriate) otherwise bad things happen. I hope that there will be yet another American revival - a multipolar world will not be a better thing, nor will a world in which the main influences are China and Russia.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't very clear in my post, I am not concerned about the UN itself, I am concerned that our allies (and this boob isn't the first to talk this way recently) don't respect us anymore and our enemies are starting to write us off in many ways. For those alive, and beyond the age of reason, in the 1970s you may recall how back then too the US was considered passe and it was soon to be a Japanese Era (never happened) but the world did get more dangerous for a while. We don't have to be world police but we do need to be both respected and feared (as appropriate) otherwise bad things happen. I hope that there will be yet another American revival - a multipolar world will not be a better thing, nor will a world in which the main influences are China and Russia.

Good post, and yes most of the rest of the world is writing us off as a paper tiger. Within a few years the world will become a more dangerous place and we will loose more good people because of it. We may not need to be the world's police, but we do need to be the world's bad ass so that nobody screws with us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom