Ammo questions for match shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do I really need to start in determining what factory load to use? By my reckoning, it would be shape first to determine feed reliability. Then bullet weight and velocity for cycling, and then manufacturer for accuracy and consistencies. About done with break in on the full size 1911 that I will be using, and need to start determining ammo. Right now I am grabbing what I can get a hold of, but will need to settle soon so I can sight the pistol in. I don't want to rush it or waste money.

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i can throw a rock at 10 yards and get a head shot..lol... should it really matter what competition i'm going to shoot? i want the best round period without having to reload which is why i ask. I am after consistency, and have wasted so much money in the past with my other firearms because i don't know the correct way to go about it, which is why i ask. I want to get these .45's dialed in efficiently.

R,

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Action shooting is for time. A malfunction will cost you more time than a missed shot. Bullseye pistol is more forgiving for malfunctions, but accuracy is paramount.

A Bullseye shooter normally shoots a load that fires to poa and has the lowest recoil. 3.5 grains of bullseye under a 185-200gr SWC is the normal load. SWC makes pretty holes, but tends to be less reliable on feeding.

If you want the best ammo for your pistol then buy every type you can find and shoot groups at 25 yards until you find the round that gives the smallest group with no malfunctions.

By the time you are done you could have bought a Dillon and got a good load recipe and components from JK Bullets. Reloading cost about $5 a box and allows you to tailor a load to you and your weapon that factory cannot.

Factories don't make Bullseye ammo, but any factory that works well in your gun is fine for action pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom