An electric motor scenario

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what tech has shown up in the last 5 years but if you’re wanting to use an A/C motor it will take a VFD and a 3 phase motor. You can feed the drive with 120/240 single phase but the motor has to be 3 phase. Not sure if a stepper or servo would be your better choice but I know there’s a company named Minarik that sells kits (motor & controller) and has a good tech support group. I would think there’s some type of flex coupling that would couple motor to the shaft on your table.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, folks. I was envisioning a simple, all-in-one solution like @sklfco suggested which I could simply attach to the shaft and voila, done. It’s no big deal to crank and crank by hand - by the way, the gears have such a loose tolerance that it’s never bound up on me. Just takes time to lower the table to drill into a drawer or box, then raise it to drill into a flat piece. It’ll still be at the back of my mind to tackle one of these days ;)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just need a second drill press for drilling flat stock. :)

Wish I had the funds to spend on another $1500 DVR drill press ;) It’s expensive, but the one I have blows away the other two, belt-driven DP’s I used to have. DVR DP’s are seriously the bee’s knees!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a similar setup as in the YT video that @HiredHand posted above, but I welded up a bracket out of 1/4” thick steel plate to mount the motor to the back of the table. I also mounted a single-gang box I I had lying around to the metal siding behind the pegboard, and the switch is in this box. It’s not as pretty as in the YT video, but it works! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom