Rebuild project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So , I have been looking for a watch cleaning station for a while. I use a sonic cleaner at the moment and while it works ,the steps needed to get where you need to be are tedious , messy and time consuming. Used ones cost around 400 and up, new forget about it LOL. This one $165, some elbow grease, paint and rewiring. Motor is not locked up,and drive shaft is not loose according to the seller, so keeping my fingers crossed it still runs . If not getting it rebuilt will be cheap...

1708294553570.png

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope it works out for you. Old Stuff is always cooler. Refurbished with a high gloss, black finish like an old Singer sewing machine would look good. Especially if you went all out and could stencil in gold a pattern or pertinent information - model, sn, volt, amp, specs and give it a name like a boat. It deserves it.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would happen if you dropped a watch in one of these cheap ultrasonic cleaners for 5-10 minutes to clean the band?

Say like it's rated waterproof to 10 bars, solar powered, quartz, etc....

Like this one https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-C...rds=ultrasonic+cleaner&qid=1708344659&sr=8-13
10 bars doesn't mean 100 meters in practice. It's quite easy to remove the movement from the case and then you can clean it ultrasonically. Not worth the risk. Facebook and Reddit are filled with pics of people who've tried this with bad results.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So , I have been looking for a watch cleaning station for a while. I use a sonic cleaner at the moment and while it works ,the steps needed to get where you need to be are tedious , messy and time consuming. Used ones cost around 400 and up, new forget about it LOL. This one $165, some elbow grease, paint and rewiring. Motor is not locked up,and drive shaft is not loose according to the seller, so keeping my fingers crossed it still runs . If not getting it rebuilt will be cheap...

View attachment 455048
Awesome project! Even though I purchased a basically new Elma machine back in late '22, I still have my vintage L&R that has been fully rebuilt. It's a fantastic machine. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Collecting parts and figuring out how to make a heating chamber. Also need to make a switch station for the heater and the motor. After a couple days in rustaway and little metal moving I am painting the cover. Looking at these older cleaners I decided to go with flat black. Automotive primer coat on today. L9

20240304_174954.jpg
20240304_190044.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom