Gun oil vs Motor Oil on your guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodger_childs

New to the site!
Reaction score
I worked with the Saudi military during Desert Storm. They cleaned and lubed their H&K MP 5's with Wesson corn oil. Rust really wasn't an issue due to the dry climate, but those things ran smooth!
I contracted over there for a while, working with them closely. Well, I worked and they sat around, but I digress. I wouldn't trust a lot of what they do, I saw one of them putting jet engine oil in his car battery. When we asked him why, he said that oil goes in batteries..."because everyone knows that water and electricity don't mix"!

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to shoot with a guy and I think his 22 bulleseye pistol only got lubed with, wax, lead and powder residue! 😁
I’ve RO’d too many steel challenge matches to get an accurate count. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to not lube the moving parts of a firearm and expect it to run reliably. Especially in shooting disciplines where rapid fire is the norm.
Some of the new folks would show up with grandpas old Colt Woodsman that was dryer than a pop gun fart when it came to lube. After fumbling through their first stage with multiple malfunctions, I’d offer them some lube. Some took it with their problems going away, some refused saying their Gramps said it ran the best dry. They continued the match with malfunctions and rarely came back.
Seen the same with newbs in some AR rifle competitions. Same results running them dry.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there we have it, from a forum member, that got it from of friend, that had a B-i-L, that was a friend to a student, who had a class instructor, that was a Chemist, that may have mentioned it in a class, that wasn't part of the actual discussion.

F. I. F. Y.

j/k
Couldn't help myself, had to get it in before Doubting Thomas threw a "but, but, but ....." out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom