Another 1911.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Towards the end of last week I got wind of a NIB 5" 9mm Rock Island M1911 A1 FS Tactical that a fella had that he'd had for a few years and never fired and was thinking about parting with.....I was finally able to make contact with the gentleman, a price was agreed on and I was able to arrange a meet and pick the gun up this morning.

The gun is mint and came in the original RIA box with all the paperwork and the date on the factory fired test case is 6-11-2012......it does have a ambi safety (which I'm not overly fond of) but the way the safety is shaped and angled it does not interfere with the way I normally grip a 1911.

Both the front and rear sights are black and in a dovetail, till I can figure out where to get a replacement front sight for something more visible I may put a touch of paint on it......it also came with only one factory 9 round magazine so I'm going to have to come up with at least a couple more from some place.

I've never owned a RIA and I really wasn't actively looking for another 1911 but this one sort of just fell in my lap......luckily I just happen to have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm sitting around that was earmarked for the Glock 17 Gen 5 that I purchased a few weeks ago.

Internet picture of the gun.

Rock Island 9mm.jpg

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the RIA apart last nite and gave it a good cleaning and this morning I took it to the range and ran 52 rounds of what was left of a bulk box of Winch. white box 124 gr. FMJ through it.....I'd have ran more through it but I've got a dental appointment at ten.

The gun has a really good trigger, no functioning problems whatsoever and hitting the 25 yd. gongs was a piece of cake.....I can't speak for all RIA's nor is 52 rounds a good test on function but so far I'm happy with my purchase.

I Bubbaized the front blade before I left and put a little white-out on it which came off during the cleaning and that's what I wanted but either a proper front blade painting or a new front blade that is more visible is in the guns future.

I also need to purchase a few more magazines because with only one mag, firing nine reloading then firing nine more and reloading again got old pretty quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom