1911 experts, Please Step In!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disassemble it as much as you can, clean it, put it back together, lubricate it, and try it out again.

However, I suspect a disconnector problem. If so, then it requires experience to diagnose and fix.

If the pistol is under warranty, then I would send it in for repair. If it's not under warranty, then I would take it to a real gunsmith who can work on 1911's.

I have seen some weird stuff happen with 1911 fire controls. Full auto, out of battery discharges, etc. There is fitting involved--it is not just about swapping parts.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used detonics. First time at the range, I dropped the slide and it went full auto. Not fun. Glad I had a good grip on it. After changing my shorts I returned it.
That's a good story.

We have a SOP for trying out an untested semi-automatic weapon. Load one and fire, load two and fire twice, load three and fire thrice, and then try a full magazine.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who is the mfg of the piston? MIM fire control parts? Did you buy it new or used?
It's a factory Springfield Armory EMP4. I bought it brand new and it's been a great shooter. I took it home after the range and gave it a very thorough cleaning, so maybe that will fix the issue. I haven't been back to the range to test it out yet.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disassemble it as much as you can, clean it, put it back together, lubricate it, and try it out again.

However, I suspect a disconnector problem. If so, then it requires experience to diagnose and fix.

If the pistol is under warranty, then I would send it in for repair. If it's not under warranty, then I would take it to a real gunsmith who can work on 1911's.

I have seen some weird stuff happen with 1911 fire controls. Full auto, out of battery discharges, etc. There is fitting involved--it is not just about swapping parts.
I have thoroughly cleaned it as much as I can, just waiting to go back to the range and try it again. I'll probably take it to the gunsmith if the problem isn't fixed since it is beyond my skill level.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good story.

We have a SOP for trying out an untested semi-automatic weapon. Load one and fire, load two and fire twice, load three and fire thrice, and then try a full magazine.
That's how I test out my builds and have it as far from my face and eyebrows as possible!:ooh2:
Not that I don't trust my abilities, but I like my eyebrows...

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range update: I gave the EMP a good, thorough cleaning and took it back to the range. I shot a mix of 124gr Sellier & Beloit and some Sig V-crown hollow points. The pistol performed great, with only one failure to fire, and that was a light primer strike/ or hard primer on the S&B ammo. I'm happy with it other than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom