another gun lube thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm nearly out of Weapon Shield...been using it (oil and grease) for years, and I'm quite satisfied with it. Because it's available locally, and cheaper, I'm considering just using synthetic motor oil...is there any reason not to?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't use synthetic oil on my guns for the same reason I don't use it on in my vehicles...its too slick. I wiped a cam lobe in my grand national thanks to mobile 1. The stuff doesn't cling at all to metal parts like dino.

With that said I know a ton of people use it without issue but I just wanted to put in my .02

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I grew up on the sweet smell of G96. Works fantastic for me and my purposes. I have/will use balistol on the bcg on my AR if I am so panning to throw some serious lead down the range but I don't care for the way it smells.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use synthetic oil on my guns for the same reason I don't use it on in my vehicles...its too slick. I wiped a cam lobe in my grand national thanks to mobile 1. The stuff doesn't cling at all to metal parts like dino.

With that said I know a ton of people use it without issue but I just wanted to put in my .02

I wonder if it was the base oil or the lack of certain additives because of modern engine/emissions requirements that caused you issue.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if it was the base oil or the lack of certain additives because of modern engine/emissions requirements that caused you issue.

you are right, the lack of zinc in modern oil is a big issue with flat tappet cams.

I am no expert and don't want to come off as someone pretending to be, but I am pretty decent at researching certain things. And many turbo regal engine builders recommend against synthetics. nick micale...one of the most respected turbo regal engine builders in the world...will void the warranty on his motors if synthetic oil is used whether roller cam or not. He claims the only cars he has seen in his shop with a wiped cam were using mobile 1. And my motor only had 5,000 miles on it when the cam went south...running mobile 1.

This seems like an apples to oranges type of deal but its all about lubrication of hot moving metal. I also wonder if some of the additives and detergents in motor oil can harm the bluing on some guns. Havnt looked into it yet but I have always been paranoid about it.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, there are synthetic motor oils with high-zinc additives for those that want/need them (e.g., flat tappet cams with high valve spring pressures). In these cases, the issue isn't because the base oil is synthetic. In these cases, the same issues arise when you use dino oil without enough zinc additive. There's thousands of flat tappet cams that go 200,000+ miles on synthetic only oil. However, I doubt there are many firearms with friction points that come anywhere close to needing this kind of lubrication...and in those cases, grease would be a better choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom