another gun lube thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, there are synthetic motor oils with high-zinc additives for those that want/need them (e.g., flat tappet cams with high valve spring pressures). In these cases, the issue isn't because the base oil is synthetic. In these cases, the same issues arise when you use dino oil without enough zinc additive. There's thousands of flat tappet cams that go 200,000+ miles on synthetic only oil....snipped

^^^ Exactly this. And further I'd really like to know what API spec'd dino oil that builder requires. Because I guarawntee that is has essentially NO ZDDP in it either. We can thank our wonder .gov for that.

Now if he's telling his customers to use some racing oil, that's an entirely different situation. But a PAO based synthetic is superior in every way to any dino oil whether it's hydrocracked or not, except for price.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ Exactly this. And further I'd really like to know what API spec'd dino oil that builder requires. Because I guarawntee that is has essentially NO ZDDP in it either. We can thank our wonder .gov for that.

Now if he's telling his customers to use some racing oil, that's an entirely different situation. But a PAO based synthetic is superior in every way to any dino oil whether it's hydrocracked or not, except for price.

he recommends Valvoline SAE VR1 20-50.

Anywho sorry to get off topic. Im just bitter towards synthetic because of my experience.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
he recommends Valvoline SAE VR1 20-50.

Anywho sorry to get off topic. Im just bitter towards synthetic because of my experience.

And there you go. 1300/1400 ppm of zinc/phos content. I'm calling BS on one of two things. Either the SN service classification for on the road use or their claimed zinc/phos content. I'm betting on the former because they usually don't fudge numbers on the data sheets. And they will be yanking that SN cert just as soon as they get fined, because it's flat out prohibited in a SN rated oil.

Here's a little background if you want to read it. And not really a thread jack, this oil would be fine for gun lube...
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/zddp/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the bottles from my oil changes and tip them upside down on a pickle jar (overnight for each jug). Get the drippings from 5w-30 amsoil after couple changes you have a decent amount. I then have a dropper that stays in there with a lid on it and also fill som 1/2oz??? Oil bottles I bought at gunshow for a buck each.

Any good oil I feel would work. Heck in a pinch once I lubed a 1911 with the oil off the dipstick of my '79 K-20. Solved my problem then cleaned and relubed once home.

Sent via message in a bottle

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the bottles from my oil changes and tip them upside down on a pickle jar (overnight for each jug). Get the drippings from 5w-30 amsoil after couple changes you have a decent amount. I then have a dropper that stays in there with a lid on it and also fill som 1/2oz??? Oil bottles I bought at gunshow for a buck each.

Any good oil I feel would work. Heck in a pinch once I lubed a 1911 with the oil off the dipstick of my '79 K-20. Solved my problem then cleaned and relubed once home.

Been there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck in a pinch once I lubed a 1911 with the oil off the dipstick of my '79 K-20. Solved my problem then cleaned and relubed once home.

One of the best tips out there for emergency lube. Can't tell you how many times I've taken the leather plunger from my coleman lantern in the middle of the night and lubed it from the dipstick to get the lantern pumped up after the leather dried out as well as other emergencies.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, you guys are starting to worry me. Lubing your leathers from your dipstick so you can pump it up. That's just wrong in so many ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom