Another S&W J frame question for the S&W lovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new CCW J frame, but there are so many models, I don't want to overlook something. I want all stainless steel (no alloy) J frame with a 2.5" or 3" barrel, round butt and either standard hammered or hammerless (no shrouded hammers) in .327 Fed Mag, .38 +P or .357 Mag. If I remember correctly, someone said the -3 and -4 revisions are the best. What models meet these criteria?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new CCW J frame, but there are so many models, I don't want to overlook something. I want all stainless steel (no alloy) J frame with a 2.5" or 3" barrel, round butt and either standard hammered or hammerless (no shrouded hammers) in .327 Fed Mag, .38 +P or .357 Mag. If I remember correctly, someone said the -3 and -4 revisions are the best. What models meet these criteria?

Model 60-4 is a 3" adjustable sight .38spl. Model 60 continued to -7 in .38spl, after that all except a few special orders were in .357 with the lock.

640 no dash is .38spl, any dash model is .357mag with the lock.

The model 60 from no dash up to -7 are all fine guns and will be able to handle +P.

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not trying to thread hijack...but what is the advantage of a .327 Fed Mag? I have always tried to stick with calibers with ammo that is easy to obtain, not the .327 is really hard to come by, but not as easy as .38/.357.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not trying to thread hijack...but what is the advantage of a .327 Fed Mag? I have always tried to stick with calibers with ammo that is easy to obtain, not the .327 is really hard to come by, but not as easy as .38/.357.

From the research I've done, the .327 gets near .357 performance in penetration and expansion from a smaller package. What is particularly appealing to me is that you can get a 6th round in the J frame sized guns. A 20% increase in capacity is pretty significant. I'd like to shoot one before committing to it though. I also think it would be pretty neat as an 8 or 9 shot L frame.

So there are only 2 models that meet the specifications? I was expecting several more.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmmm have never heard of .327 rounds
if you reload, ammo shouldn't a limitation

Really?? What rock have you been hiding under?

Just kidding. It's a pretty new round and hasn't gained much popularity, at least yet. I find it intriguing though.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From the research I've done, the .327 gets near .357 performance in penetration and expansion from a smaller package. What is particularly appealing to me is that you can get a 6th round in the J frame sized guns. A 20% increase in capacity is pretty significant. I'd like to shoot one before committing to it though. I also think it would be pretty neat as an 8 or 9 shot L frame.

So there are only 2 models that meet the specifications? I was expecting several more.

For the specifications you listed, there are actually only two. Now there is, if you can find it, a .22lr, .22mag, .32mag, and 9mm. You'll have to mortgage your house almost for any of those 3" barrel or less. They didn't last long on the market, and are very desirable to collectors now.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hmmmm..... .327 looks suspiciously like a .30 carbine round

http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

awww.chuckhawks.com_327_federal.jpg

Really?? What rock have you been hiding under?

Just kidding. It's a pretty new round and hasn't gained much popularity, at least yet. I find it intriguing though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom